HomeNewsFree STD testing offered at Student Health Services

Free STD testing offered at Student Health Services

The testing will be held on April 2, 3 and 11 at SHS. The testing window is 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. each day, according to the Student Health Services website. (File/The Daily Campus)

Student Health Services (SHS) and the Health Education Office will be hosting UConn’s annual STD testing event, Get Yourself Tested (GYT) throughout the month of April, according to the Health Education Office website.

The testing will be held on April 2, 3 and 11 at SHS. The testing window is 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. each day, according to the Student Health Services website.

Testing will be available at SHS for the first 65 students who register online, which can be done at surveymonkey.com

“April is Get Yourself Tested month, so we offer several clinics that are supported by the state Department of Public Health,” Dr. Ellyssa Eror, Interim Medical Director at SHS, said.

Testing will also be held at the African American Cultural Center and Student Union on April 9 and will be available to the first 35 students who register, according to the SHS website. The testing window will also be from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The free tests are limited due to the number of tests UConn receives from the Department, Eror said. While testing is recommended, Eror added there are other methods to protect oneself from STDs.

“The two best ways to protect yourself from STDs are abstinence and barrier protection with male or female condoms,” Eror said. “Male condoms are available for free at Student Health Services and Wellness and Prevention Services. Female condoms are available at the Student Health Services pharmacy.”

Connor Lenz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.lenz@uconn.edu.