Baseball: UConn hosts Quinnipiac after Tuesday’s rainout

0
0
exc-5ac42a5aaa4a99f8e15b012e

UConn and Hartford step back on the field for the double header on Friday Mar. 31. Pitcher Chase Gardner retired 14 batters in a row, leading to a Huskies victory, 1-0. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

UConn baseball has had to battle Mother Nature all season. After postponing their home opener twice, Mother Nature took another round on Tuesday, April 3. The Huskies had to cancel Tuesday’s game against Fairfield amid downpours.

Luckily for the Huskies, they have a rescheduled game against Quinnipiac on Wednesday, April 4 to help get them through the week.

The Bobcats are currently 3-0 in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference and 11-14 overall. Quinnipiac has had the same luck with the weather as UConn, if not worse. Wednesday’s game will be Quinnipiac’s 26th consecutive game on the road as the Bobcats have yet to play a game at home this season.

Despite constantly playing in enemy territory, Quinnipiac has found a way to make history. Last time out, the Bobcats set a Division I program record by lighting up Saint Peter’s University for 28 runs on Saturday. The previous record for runs in a single game was 24, set by Wagner College in 2003.

The offensive explosion was due in large part to duo of sophomore Evan Vulgamore and senior Ben Gibson. Vulgamore went deep three times and Gibson had a pair of three-run homers. Vulgamore is tied with Liam Scarfairello for second on the team in homeruns with four a piece. Vulgamore and Gibson have combined for 39 of the team’s 127 RBI this season.

UConn will hope to keep Quinnipiac’s offense in check with one of the hottest pitching staff’s in the nation. UConn’s starting pitchers have gone 35 consecutive innings without surrendering a run. The Huskies also have a reliable arm constantly waiting in the wings. Closer P.J. Poulin has been called on early and often to guide the Huskies through the late innings. His eight saves on the year are double that of the next closest relief pitcher in the American Athletic Conference.

Offensively, Thad Phillips leads the team in batting with a .351 average but has only played in 16 out of a possible 24 games for the Huskies this year. Next closest is Zac Susi with a .330 batting average and a team-leading 29 hits.

With showers in the forecast the Huskies will likely have to sneak this one in right under Mother Nature’s nose. If they can, first pitch between UConn and Quinnipiac will be at 3:00 p.m. at J.O. Christian Field.

Bryan Lambert is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at bryan.lambert@uconn.edu.