Hurley to add Minnesota’s Kimani Young to staff

0
1
exc-5ac44320575d1fea4522c68a

(Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Another coach is joining the UConn men’s basketball staff.

Kimani Young, a former assistant to Richard Pitino at the University of Minnesota, has reportedly joined Hurley’s UConn staff, joining Tom Moore, former UConn assistant and Quinnipiac head coach for 10 years, the New Haven Register reports.

Young, a native of Queens, has deep ties to the tri-state recruiting area, something Hurley mentioned in his introductory press conference that he wanted in his staff. Young has brought multiple players from the New York-New Jersey area to Minnesota and served as athletic director at New York Heights, Inc. in New York City.

“I just think it was the total package of being close to home, being in a region where I can really bring value in terms of my relationships, and my connections in that area,” Young said in a release. “I believe in the brand of UConn basketball — it’s a national brand, it’s a championship brand, and I just thought the opportunity to get in on the ground level with Danny, to help the rebirth of UConn basketball, is just something I couldn’t turn down.”

This leaves just one spot left for another assistant coach on Hurley’s staff. David Cox, URI’s associate head coach, is the front-runner for the head coach position there, so it’s unlikely Hurley will bring him to Storrs. Kevin Freeman, UConn’s director of basketball operations, is expected to be offered to remain with the program in some capacity.

“I think Kimani will be a great fit at UConn,” Hurley said. “He’s a high-energy guy with a tremendous work ethic and a tremendous amount of basketball knowledge. He’s got some of the best relationships in the metropolitan area, which I think will be invaluable at a place like UConn. He’s just incredibly well-liked and well-respected throughout our profession. I’m very excited that he’s decided to join our staff.”

Stephanie Sheehan is the managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.