Women’s lacrosse ready to face Villanova

0
4

The UConn Women’s Lacrosse team takes on the University of Denver on Saturday, March 24 at Sherman Family Sports Complex. The Huskies lost with a final score of 13-5. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s lacrosse will play their next game at home, facing off against the Villanova Wildcats at the Sherman Family Sports Complex today at 1 p.m.

The Huskies are coming off their sixth loss of the season, which came Saturday in the Sunshine State to the Florida Gators.

The main problem for the Huskies in that game was an inability to stop the bleeding after it started. They managed to score the first goal of the game, but only tacked on three more in the first period while allowing the Gators to score 15 times. Goalie Grace Beshlian only played the first period and recorded one save in that time as Florida racked up an overwhelming 15 goals on 20 shots.

Defense should be the main focus heading into this game. The team will need to help Beshlian by preventing the Wildcats from getting the types of looks Florida was able to get.

Winning this game would be huge for the Huskies in the Big East The team currently totes a 1-2 conference record while Nova sits at 0-3. A win would bring the team’s overall record, 5-6, back to .500 while also moving their conference record to .500. A loss would tie the Huskies with the Wildcats in the Big East.

This particular game has some historical importance as well, as Villanova has never beaten UConn in women’s lacrosse. UConn is 9-0 against the Wildcats and will have the chance to extend that record to double digits.

Once again Grace Nolan will be the player to keep an eye on today. The senior is second in the Big East in goals per game, third in assists per game and first in points per game. Nolan leads the Huskies in all three categories by a large margin.

The Huskies will look to bounce back from Saturday with a strong showing at home Wednesday, where they are currently 2-2 on the season.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.