National Student Employment Week celebrates student workers

0
0

There are over 8,000 student employees working on the University of Connecticut campuses, Assistant Director of Scholarships and Student Employment Kim Duby said. The largest employers include dining services, residential life and facilities and student affairs.(Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

National Student Employment week runs from April 9 to 13 and aims to recognize the value of student employment and professions, according to the Northeast Association of Student Employment Administrators.

There are over 8,000 student employees working on the University of Connecticut campuses, Assistant Director of Scholarships and Student Employment Kim Duby said. The largest employers include dining services, residential life and facilities and student affairs.

Duby said that while the Office of Student Financial Aid Services does not host a central event to mark this week, they do encourage celebrations within the employment departments.

“We do assist in promoting this week to our student employee supervisors,” Duby said. “For example, we will be posting a sign of thanks to all student employees in bus lines on the Storrs campus.”

Other ways to express appreciation for student employees include posting a message of gratitude in the Daily Digest and providing them with goodie bags and pizza parties, according to the Student Employment Scoop, the Office of Student Financial Aid Service’s newsletter.

The Office of Student Financial Aid Services also collaborates with the Student Life Awards to recognize student employees, Duby said. Student Employee of the Year and Student Employee Supervisor of the Year are both awards up for grabs.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.