Softball: Wild weekend weather doesn’t hinder Huskies

0
6

The Huskies faced the Knights in Saturday’s game on the Burrill Family field. UConn won 2 of the 3 games scheduled for the weekend, losing 8-3, winning 11-3, and winning 5-1 (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

When Katie Koshes threw out the first pitch in the deciding game of their series against UCF, it was about 40 degrees at Burrill Family Field, but the wind chill had it feeling more like below freezing when any of the abundant clouds passed across the sun.

The Knights showed up just a half hour before the game was scheduled to start, all bundled up in heavy jackets and winter hats. UConn was already on the field however, joking around and talking about favorite musicians, clearly used to the wonky weather conditions.

About three inches of snow and wintry mix fell in Storrs on Friday, moving the first game of the series to a doubleheader on Saturday, but the Huskies weren’t rattled by the sudden schedule changes.

“It didn’t phase them at all, that’s just life playing softball in New England, they’re used to rolling with the punches,” head coach Jen McIntyre said.

Sophomore pitcher Katie Koshes got as used to the weather as anyone this weekend, pitching 13.1 innings in two complete game wins. She struck out 22, allowed just two earned runs and was feeling just fine in the cold:

data-animation-override>
It didn’t phase them at all, that’s just life playing softball in New England, they’re used to rolling with the punches
— Head Coach Jen McIntyre

“I don’t think [the cold] bothered me at all, we came prepared,” Koshes said. “We had gloves and heaters in the dugout and once I got moving it didn’t really affect me at all.”

As luck would have it, this was the one weekend that sophomore Chloe Kerns’ family was in to visit from her hometown of Paso Robles, California, where the average high on April 4 is just over 70 degrees.

Kerns said that getting used to the “flexibility” of Connecticut weather was the biggest adjustment coming to UConn, but she did better than alright in the frigid weather this weekend.

Kerns singled in her pinch-hit appearance in game one on Saturday, went 3-3 with three RBI in game two and got the Huskies on the board first in the second inning Sunday with a towering solo home run, one of UConn’s three dingers on the day.

UConn had scored three runs of fewer in the last nine games before this weekend, so that begs the question, where did all this scoring come from out of the blue?

“I don’t know, maybe we brought it here from California,” Kerns’ mother, Tani Monson, said.

Luke Swanson is a staff writer for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at luke.swanson@uconn.edu.