Trump administration continues to roll out policies cracking down on illegal immigration

0
1

President Donald Trump, right, sitting next to Vice President Mike Pence, left, speaks in the Cabinet Room of the White House in Washington, Monday, April 9, 2018, at the start of a meeting with military leaders. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

President Donald Trump’s administration continued its issuance of stricter immigration policies last week.

On Friday, Trump signed a memo that directed his administration to end “catch and release” policies for undocumented immigrants.

“The safety and security of the American people is the president’s highest priority, and he will keep his promise to protect our country and ensure that our laws are respected,” Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said.

The catch and release policies to which Trump called for an “expeditious end” allow immigrants who arrive at the border without authorization to be released from detainment as they wait for their case to be processed.

Additionally, on Friday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced a “Zero Tolerance” policy for persons attempting to enter the country illegally at the southern border.

“Those seeking to further and illegal goal constantly alter their tactics to target weak points,” Sessions’ memo said. “That means we must effectively respond with smart changes also.”

The memo instructed prosecutors to make prosecuting immigration violations a top priority.

These recent announcements are part of a larger trend toward reforming American immigration policies. Last week, the Trump administration announced it would be sending thousands of National Guard Troops to the border (http://dailycampus.com/stories/2018/4/4/trump-to-send-troops-to-border).  On Monday, Arizona began by deploying 225 guardsmen.

“Further militarizing our southern border will not make our communities safer,” CT Students for a Dream Executive Director Lucas Codognolla said. “Our border cities are already highly militarized and have thousands of deportation agents who are able to stop, frisk and interrogate our community on a whim. Sending troops to the border will do nothing but cause our families to leave in fear and in danger of family separation and even death.”

In response to the president tweeting that there would be “no DACA deal”, Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal said, “The President must lead – or get out of the way. Trump has never been serious about finding a solution to the looming humanitarian and economic crisis he created,” in a tweet he sent out last week.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.