In fake letter circulating online, UConn students warned of plumbing damage due to masturbation

0
0

A fake letter from the staff of Werth Tower asked students to refrain from masturbating in dormitory showers due to clogging. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

A picture of a notice bearing the University of Connecticut letterhead was posted to the Facebook page UConn Buy or Sell Monday night asking students to refrain from masturbating in dormitory showers due to clogging. The letter has since been determined to be fake.

The letter stated that a large buildup of semen in the shower drainage pipes has caused costly clogs resulting in damages of around $7,000.

“Several blockages have been found in the shower system of Werth Tower. We suspected they were caused by hair,” the letter read. “However, upon inspection it was determined that these clogs were the result of large buildups of semen… As you are probably aware, semen is not water soluble and repairing clogged pipes is very expensive and time consuming.”  

The letter went on to request that students “take care of business” in their dorm rooms rather than the shower stalls.

Among the abundance of students tagging their friends as culprits in the comments, UConn alumnus Juan Jeffrey said in a comment on the post that the science behind this claim does not appear to be valid.

“‘Semen is not water soluble’ but only thrives in a water rich environment?” Jeffrey said. “When you failed Bio 0111 but want to make jokes about dudes dropping so many loads that they clog pipes.”

Backing up Jeffrey’s claim is the evidence of 25 similar letters that were also determined to be fake, according to the Huffington Post.

“For the past several years, a number of people have reported seeing letters asking male students to refrain from pleasuring themselves in the dorm bathrooms or showers,” the Huffington Post article said. “The notices usually say something about how the pipes were clogged and initially the college thought it was a build up of hair. But then they discovered the true horror: It was semen.”

Many of the clogged drain letters use the exact same wording and price of damages as other letters determined to be fake, making it easy to peg this as a prank, according to the Huffington Post.

“So far, the letters usually say, it’s [sic] cost the school anywhere from $700 to $7,000 in damage,” the Huffington Post said. “And remember — if you see a poster like this in your college bathroom, just know it’s not true. It’s a college prank that seems like it’ll never go away.”

Andrew Miano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.