UCPD will conduct DUI checkpoints during Spring Weekend

0
0

UCPD will be conducting DUI checkpoints during Spring Weekend. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Police Department will be conducting checkpoints during Spring Weekend.

The checkpoints will be operating from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday night on North Eagleville Road and Discovery Drive.

“The goal is to keep the roads safe and to minimize the brief stop during the checkpoint,” UCPD Lieutenant Gary Andruskiewicz said. “The checkpoints are not only to apprehend intoxicated drivers, but also to identify motor vehicle violations such as seatbelts (and) unregistered (or) uninsured motor vehicles.”

Andruskiewicz said the checkpoints serve a public safety interest.

“(It’s) Important to be visible to the public and keep the citizens safe by reminding people of the state motor vehicle laws,” Andruskiewicz said.

Drivers will be stopped briefly at the checkpoints for observations of these violations and may be subject to related delays, according to a press release by UCPD.

“The checkpoints are part of the continuing effort by the UConn Police Department to take drunk drivers off the highways of Connecticut,” the press release said.

Last year, the checkpoints were conducted for a longer period of time, 6 p.m. until 2 a.m.

Andruskiewicz said UCPD reviewed incident reports from last year and made the decision to change the timeframe of the checkpoints.

“The UConn police department reviews after action reports including activity levels during the roadblocks and adjusted the times of operation this year,” Andruskiewicz said.

UConn will also have strict guest policies in place for Spring Weekend. From 7 p.m. Thursday April 19 until 7 a.m. Sunday April 22 no guest may be in a UConn residential hall who is not a current UConn student, according to an email sent to residents from ResLife. UConn guests must be signed in.

Any guest staying in a residence hall during Spring Weekend must have their guest pass and a valid, matching UConn ID.

All overnight guests, anyone who stays in on-campus housing later than 12 a.m., must be approved by the roommate. No one may have more than two overnight guests at one time.

These increased safety measures were put into effect several years ago following a fatal incident during Spring Weekend in 2010. Jafar Karzoun, a UConn Junior, died after he was punched by Ed Rapo, of East Hartford.

“Right around 2011, there was an effort that was really a university effort to make the weekend about university type of events and not just non-sanction events,” UCPD Deputy Police Chief Andrew Fournier said in a Daily Campus article last year.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.