Softball: Huskies look to get back on track after loss to BC

0
0
exc-5ad01690352f539b601ec3df

Softball will look to bounce back after a midweek loss at Boston College (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

Conference play continues this weekend at Burrill Family Field as UConn is set to take on ECU in a three-game series. The series starts Friday afternoon at 4 p.m. and will be followed by a 2 p.m. start on Saturday with the series concluding at noon on Sunday.

Prior to their 4-1 loss in their midweek matchup with BC, the Huskies (15-25, 2-7 the American) are coming off a series win against a strong UCF team. Unlike the loss to BC, the offense was rolling in the series against UCF. Led by sophomore Chloe Kerns, the Huskies put up 16 runs and 16 hits in the series while fellow sophomore Katie Koshes dominated on the mound in her two wins.

UConn will look to make the most of their nine remaining home games when the Pirates (16-24, 2-7 the American) come to Storrs this weekend. ECU leads the all-time series between the two conference foes nine games to six and are coming off a season sweep of the Huskies in 2014.

Although they lost the series, ECU recently ended their losing streak of eight games when they matched up against fellow conference rival Memphis last weekend. This was the same time as when UConn broke their losing streak – also of eight games. The two teams are tied for seventh place in the American heading into this weekend’s action.

Tate McClellan will be looked upon to lead the Pirates offensively this weekend. The redshirt sophomore has had a very productive year at the plate, posting a .288 batting average on 32 hits with eight home runs. McClellan also leads the Pirates in RBIs with 25 on the year. Senior Meredith Burroughs has been responsible for most of ECU’s power this year with her team-high 10 home runs. She has also knocked in 24 RBIs, good enough for second best on the team.

Pitching has been a rough spot for the Pirates this season as their cumulative .271 opposing batting average is the worst mark in the conference. ECU has leaned on freshman Erin Poepping as their workhorse this year since she leads the team in innings pitched (109.0). In her 23 starts, 30 appearances overall, Poepping has an 8-10 record, an ERA of 3.85 and a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 65-to-32.

This weekend is full of promotions at Burrill Family Field. UConn camo hats will be given away on a first come, first served basis before Friday’s game. On Saturday, all guests are welcome and encouraged to bring their pet dogs to Bark in the Park. Things will wrap up Sunday with the Pediatric Cancer Awareness game. The players will don gold accessories during the game to help raise awareness for the cause.