Women’s Basketball: Samuelson has surgery on ankle

0
7
exc-5acffc9f352f539b601a9902

Katie Lou Samuelson (33) drives against Notre Dame in the Final Four (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

UConn junior Katie Lou Samuelson underwent successful surgery Thursday morning to treat a left ankle that had been bothering her throughout the season, according to a statement from the university. The ankle was sprained during a Dec. 3 matchup with Notre Dame, then tweaked again in a Jan. 18 game against Tulsa.

Samuelson missed five games this year and was a limited participant in practice for much of the season. In addition to the ankle injury, she dealt with a midfoot sprain suffered during the second game of the season on Nov. 17 against California.

Despite missing time, Samuelson scored the second-most points on the team and led the Huskies in scoring average with 17.4 points per game. She shot 47.5 percent from 3-point range, the best rate in Division I.

Over her three-year career in Storrs, Samuelson has averaged double-digit scoring each year, including 20.2 points per game in her 2016-17 campaign. In 2015-16, Samuelson was forced to miss the national championship game due to a broken bone in her left foot that she suffered in UConn’s Final Four victory over Oregon.

On the day of the WNBA Draft that saw three Huskies drafted, Samuelson will begin her recovery as she prepares for her senior year. With the loss of three of six rotation players from this year’s roster, including senior leaders Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse, Samuelson and fellow junior Napheesa Collier will be the leaders on the Huskies’ new-look roster.

UConn expects Samuelson to be fully recovered for the start of the 2018-19 season.

Josh Buser is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.