Women’s Lacrosse: Bearcats up next

0
10

Grace McDonald (22) moves the ball against Villanova (Nick Hampton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will match up against the Cincinnati Bearcats at the Sherman Family Sports Complex today at 12 p.m.

The Huskies enter this game coming off a 16-7 win against Temple on Saturday that improved their road record to 4-3 on the season.

In that game, Junior Kelsey Catalano went off for a career-high eight points on eight goals, effectively outscoring the entire Temple team. If Catalano can carry that hot play into today’s game it would be a boon for a UConn team that relies on its offense more often than not to make up for the defense.

The offense as a whole was remarkable in that one though, as nine different Huskies scored points in the win. Sophomore Madison Cook was one of the beneficiaries of a diversified offense as she scored her first career goal in the game.

Today’s game is an in-conference Big East matchup for the teams, and a win for the Huskies would propel them to a .500 record on the season.

As for the Big East standings, UConn currently sits at seventh, while Cincinnati is in ninth.

Cincinnati enters this game with a 6-6 record, but is 0-5 in Big East competition so far this year. The Bearcats are also 0-9 against the Huskies all-time in women’s lacrosse. Securing a victory today would mean the end of both of those rough streaks.

UConn is currently 6-7 overall, sporting a 2-3 record at home and in-conference.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.