James Comey releases ‘A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership’

0
0
exc-5ad6b51d2b6a284cf9f97310

Former FBI Director James Comey’s book “A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership,” which outlines his two decade long government career and addresses his interactions with President Donald Trump, was released Tuesday.

Comey served as director of the FBI from 2013 to 2017 and was dismissed by Trump on May 9, 2017. Trump cited Comey’s handling of Hillary Clinton’s email investigation as the reason for his dismissal.

Trump has tweeted about Comey and his book. In one tweet, the president said, “[Comey] will go down as the WORST FBI Director in history, by far!”

Beth Ginsberg, a professor of American politics at the University of Connecticut, said Comey is within his First Amendment rights to publish his book and that she is unsure about how the White House will react to the publication.

“The current administration can choose how they wish to respond. I think we will have to wait for all of this to play out over time,” Ginsberg said. “Predictions are hard with this administration because they do not follow any of the normal or expected paradigms.”

Andrew Dubsky, a fourth-semester political science and health care management double major, said there are two schools of thought regarding Comey’s book release.

“One side is that this is a publicity stunt that overdramatizes what actually took place. He is playing the victim in this situation,” Dubsky said. “There is also the side where Comey can really expose the White House, as someone in his position has a unique insight into the situation.”

Dubsky said he believes Comey’s book can give insight about how the current administration operates.

“This book can dispel a lot of rumors circulating right now,” Dubsky said. “I think he is embellishing a little, but it is definitely going to be a valuable look into the White House.”

Dubsky said he doubts that Comey’s book will negatively impact the current administration.

“This White House is good at handling tough PR situations like shootings and scandals,” Dubsky said. “I do not think this will deter them from continuing to do what they do. They will not be fazed.”

Connor Lenz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.lenz@uconn.edu.