HomeNewsGraduation Beat: Senior Send-Off, commencement and yearbooks are just around the corner...

Graduation Beat: Senior Send-Off, commencement and yearbooks are just around the corner for 2018 graduates

Commencement is about two weeks away at the University of Connecticut and the Senior Send-Off celebration will take place on the last day of classes, Friday, April 27, from 5 to 7 p.m.

The celebration is a graduation party in which seniors are invited to the Alumni Center for food trucks, T-shirts, games and giveaways, according to an email from Jessica Sokol, Student Alumni Association advisor.  Everything is free for seniors with their UConn ID and the event is held rain or shine.

“We will have several food trucks serving burgers, hot dogs, fried dough, cotton candy, hand-cut double-fried French fries and so much more,” Sokol said. “The Dairy Bar truck will provide dessert, and we’re also working to add a gourmet coffee truck this year. The first 1,500 seniors who swipe in will receive a free T-shirt, and we’ll have opportunities to play games and win prizes.”

Sokol said seniors should attend Senior Send-Off because it is solely a way celebrate graduation in a special way.

“It’s not focused on what you need to do in order to graduate; instead, we focus on celebrating seniors’ time at UConn and getting them excited about the future,” Sokol said.

Sokol said the event tends to be popular and many students enjoy coming.

“Our high capacity is also what makes this event special. It doesn’t fill up, so literally every senior can attend if they wish to,” Sokol said. “It’s essentially a graduation party with 1,000 Huskies.”

Sokol said Senior Send-Off helps students check one more thing off their “81 Things to Do Before You Graduate” bucket list and become “Huskies Forever,” as UConn’s motto goes.

“The Senior Send-Off is a big tradition here at UConn. It’s literally on the ‘81 Things to Do Before You Graduate’ bucket list. If you like free food, shirts and fun, then this event’s for you,” Sokol said. “Our office was instrumental in trademarking UConn’s motto of ‘Students Today. Huskies Forever,’ and this event has been our way to introduce seniors to the ‘Huskies Forever’ part.”

Additionally, seniors will receive their free copy of the Nutmeg Yearbook the fall after they graduate, Elise Sotolongo, Nutmeg Yearbook Editor-in-Chief, said. This will be the 103rd edition of the Nutmeg Yearbook.

“In order to receive a copy of the yearbook, seniors are mailed a copy of the yearbook to the permanent address they have listed on StudentAdmin the fall after they graduate,” Sotolongo said.

Any senior who had their photo taken at one of the sessions offered by Lauren Studios will have their picture featured in the yearbook, Sotolongo said.

“We only accept photos that were taken by Lauren Studios. Any senior photos taken elsewhere are not included,” Sotolongo said. “Students are able to take their own senior photos, but these photos will not be included in the yearbook.”

Sotolongo said that having your portrait included in the yearbook is a nice way to remember your four years at UConn.

“Seniors should have a portrait taken, because every senior receives a yearbook free of charge,” Sotolongo said. “It would be nice to be able to look back at it and see your portrait along with those of your friends and fellow graduates.”

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.