Softball ends losing skid against CCSU

0
2

The Huskies fall 5-1 to ECU on Saturday, April 14, 2018. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn softball team ended their four-game losing streak in a 2-1 win against in-state rival Central Connecticut State University. This win marked the Huskies’ 60th victory all-time against the Blue Devils, a series that UConn has dominated 60-8.

With Wednesday’s victory, UConn brought an end to their losing streak of four games. The Huskies had lost previously at Boston College and then were swept at home by conference rival ECU.

“Every win is a big win. Our whole mission, our whole goal this time of year is to get hot coming down the stretch,” said head coach Jen McIntyre. “We use a lot of our midweek games to take on the region and the team was focused, aggressive and ready to play today.”

Jill “Steady Eddy” Stockley, a name given by McIntyre, hurled an impressive seven innings against CCSU, her team leading 11th complete game of the season. Stockley allowed only one, unearned run on four hits and left five runners stranded. Her seven strikeouts matched her season best for a single game.

“I was really just trying to hit my spots overall,” Stockley said on her performance. “I was getting a lot of swings and misses which I don’t do very much but I was definitely just trying to hit my spots and make it work for me.”

The Huskies (16-28) got things going early when sophomore Carli Cutler singled in freshman Briana Marcelino after she doubled in the bottom of the first.

Marcelino has caught fire of late after going four-for-four in last Saturday’s doubleheader and two-for-three against the Blue Devils. In those three games, Marcelino has hit four doubles to increase her already team-leading total to 10 on the season.

“[I’m] just trying not to swing at balls,” Marcelino said about her recent success at the plate. “I think before I was trying to swing way out of the zone and now i’m just locked in on my pitch. [I’m] still being aggressive but on pitches that I like.”

The Blue Devils (14-23) plated their lone run of the game in the third after senior Brittany Camara made her way to second base on a throwing error. Junior Kaitlin Paterson then smacked a double, allowing Camara to come around and score.

UConn came right back in the bottom half of the third with a run of their own. A Kiwi McDaniel two-out walk with the bases loaded allowed Kelli Bates to cross the plate, putting the Huskies up for good. Bates got the inning going when she lead off with a single.

“I thought Kelli did a nice job in the nine-hole, turning that order over so that we could get a couple of runners on in front of [the] two, three, four, five [hitters],” McIntyre said.

The Huskies will hit the road for a three-game series against a strong Memphis team that currently sits in third place in the American. First pitch is set for 6 p.m. on Friday evening.

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.