Women’s Lacrosse: Huskies prepare for Senior Day matchup against Vandy

0
0
exc-5ad92ff488251b78280bf57e

(Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team (7-8, 3-4 Big East) is set to play Vanderbilt (8-7, 3-4 Big East) on Sunday in a game that will also serve as senior day for the Huskies.

There are six seniors on UConn’s squad this season including goalkeeper Madison Hooper, midfielder Kelsey Catalano, attacker Grace Nolan, defender Kristyn Gaines, defender Cassie Ekstrom and midfielder Grace McDonald.

The Huskies are coming off of a tough 15-14 loss at Georgetown on Wednesday. Vanderbilt is also coming off a loss. The Commodores lost at Temple 10-5.

The last time the Huskies played Vanderbilt was April 5, 2017 in a game UConn lost 16-8.

The first player to watch in the matchup is sophomore attacker Emily Mathewson. Mathewson was named to the Big East Honor Roll two times this season.

“(Mathewson’s) just so talented,” Vanderbilt head coach Cathy Swezey said in an interview on the team’s website. “She’s a great finisher, she has a great eye for when people are open and she just knows how to find people.”

Another player to watch is senior Kayla Peterson. Peterson has also made the Big East Weekly Honor Roll twice this season.

“Kayla has created her own opportunities. She’s a self-made player,” Cathy Swezey said. “She’s an awesome player. She gives so much and works so hard on the field. I couldn’t be happier for her and her achievement, and what it does for us to have her on the squad.”

Swezey, who is in her 21st season as head coach at Vanderbilt, has led her team to six NCAA tournament appearances, including a 2004 trip to the Final Four.

The game against Vanderbilt will begin at 12 p.m. at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.