Softball: Huskies take on Bryant and UMass in midweek action

0
1
exc-5ade9d52352f530132740524

Just UConn’s second home midweek game of the season, this contest was rescheduled from Apr. 3, after a late spring snowstorm dumped a few inches of snow on Burrill Family Field. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

UConn softball will look to keep their bats rolling in midweek action this Tuesday, as they take on Bryant at 3 p.m. at Burrill Family Field.

The Huskies are coming off a wild weekend in Memphis where their offense was shut out for the first two games of competition. They suddenly sprung to life after the series had seemingly  been decided, scoring ten runs and shutting out the Tigers to salvage the weekend.

Hard-hitting freshman shortstop Briana Marcelino’s offensive performance mimicked the team’s, as she went hitless in game one, knocked in a single in game two, then went 2-4 in the final game of the series including a three-run homer in the second inning.

With her blazing last two weeks, Marcelino now leads the team in batting average and slugging percentage, while redshirt freshman Olivia Sappington still leads in hits, RBI and on-base percentage. 

Slap-hitter Kelli Bates will look to keep her own hot streak going, as she had her best game on the weekend on Saturday, as she went 3-4 and throwing out a runner at home in the first to keep Memphis scoreless.

Bryant is 12-25 on the season, tied for fourth in the NEC with a 6-6 conference record and ranks 204th in RPI, compared to UConn at 142.

The Bulldogs are reeling a bit heading into Tuesday’s game, as they had had almost the opposite weekend as the Huskies. They beat Robert Morris twice in a doubleheader on Saturday but then got drubbed twice by St. Francis on Sunday by a total score of 20-5.

Bryant boasts a formidable lineup, with three different hitters batting over .300 on the year, but their rotation is another story. The Bulldogs don’t have a single pitcher with an ERA lower than 5.00, bad news for a UConn team hot off their best offensive performance yet this year.

Freshman outfielders Morgan Powell and Gianna Ceccarelli lead Bryant at the plate and in the field, boasting the two best batting averages and fielding percentages on the squad. Veteran utility player Gianna Pizzano leads the Bulldogs in slugging percentage.

Just UConn’s second home midweek game of the season, this contest was rescheduled from Apr. 3, after a late spring snowstorm dumped a few inches of snow on Burrill Family Field.

Luke Swanson is a staff writer for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at luke.swanson@uconn.edu.