UConn travels to Wisconsin in final regular season game

0
5

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will travel to Milwaukee on Saturday to take on Marquette in its final game of the regular season. (Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s lacrosse team will travel to Milwaukee on Saturday to take on Marquette in its final game of the regular season.

UConn (8-8, 4-4 Big East) enters this game coming off a 20-19 overtime thriller against Vanderbilt that ended in a game-winning goal by senior Grace Nolan. Nolan, along with freshman Sydney Watson, carried much of the load on offense for the Huskies by scoring five goals apiece. Senior Kelsey Catalano did her part as well by scoring four goals of her own.

This game against fellow Big East member Marquette (9-7, 5-3 Big East) could have implications in the standings. If UConn wins, it could put itself, Temple and Marquette in a three-way tie for fourth place in the conference, depending on whether Temple loses their matchup.

Saturday’s game is do-or-die for the Huskies, with either a tough trip back to Storrs or potentially a celebration on making the postseason before a trip to Gainesville, Florida,  where they would take on the No. 1 Gators.

The Huskies’ offense has been kicking lately, leading to wins in three of their last four games with 71 total points scored. Marquette could have trouble on their hands if they let the UConn offense get going—specifically—Nolan who has been quite solid the whole season and especially of late.

Marquette, on the other hand, limps into this game after three straight losses, including an overtime loss Saturday to Georgetown in which they only scored eight goals.

The game will be played Saturday at 12 p.m.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.