Men’s Basketball: UConn officially welcomes three newcomers

0
1
exc-5ae2701baa4a99e3aabe750b

University of Connecticut’s new head basketball coach Dan Hurley puts his final touches on the roster.  (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

Incoming freshman Brendan Adams headlines the three newcomers for the UConn men’s basketball team. Joining him are battle-tested grad transfers Tarin Smith and Kassoum Yakwe, as new head coach Dan Hurley puts his final touches on the roster.

“Brendan is really talented combo guard who can score on all three levels,” Hurley said in a press release. “He will help us as a really good ball-screen player and a strong perimeter shooter. He is someone who will be a big part of both our short-term and long-term plans.”

Adams de-committed from the University of Rhode Island after Hurley joined UConn. The 6-foot-4 point guard averaged 18 points, four rebounds and three assists for Calvert Hill High School in Baltimore. With uncertainty surrounding Christian Vital’s return, Adams could have a significant amount of playing time.

The new guard was a top-150 player during the recruiting process and his brother Jaylen Adams plays for St. Bonaventure.

Smith is another guard who should provide veteran leadership and stability as a grad transfer. During his undergrad career at Duquesne, Smith showed off his durability by starting all 64 games over the last two years. Last season, the guard averaged 12.4 points, three rebounds and 3.2 assists. He is familiar with the Hurley family, as he played for Bob Hurley Sr. at St. Anthony’s High School.

Hurley said the guard combo will help solidify the backcourt.

“Guard play and guard depth was obviously a weakness last season,” Hurley said in a press release. “Hopefully, these new additions will not only help our depth, but the competition is going to help make guard play a strength for us going forward.”

Yakwe will provide some insurance in the frontcourt, which the Huskies will desperately need after Terry Larrier left for the NBA Draft.

The 6-foot-7 forward is coming to the Huskies from St. John’s. In his undergrad career, he averaged 7.1 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.

After a disappointing 14-18 season last year, the Huskies have brought in a big-time head coach and now bring in three new players who figure to earn some serious playing time.

Michael Logan is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.