Lacrosse: Huskies say goodbye to successful senior class

0
0
exc-5aebc9af575d1f1b96d4ed11

(Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

(Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn lacrosse team finished up their season with a heartbreaking loss at Marquette this past Saturday.

The Huskies were 8-9 overall this season and 4-5 in the Big East. The previous season the Huskies had been 8-8 overall and 5-4 in conference play.

Senior attacker Grace Nolan finished the year with a program record 72 goals and 102 points. Nolan leaves the squad as the all-time leader in points with 285 and goals with 187.

There were six seniors on the squad this season including, Nolan, goalkeeper Madison Hooper, midfielder Kelsey Catalano, defender Kristyn Gaines, defender Cassie Ekstrom and midfielder Grace MacDonald.

Nolan and Catalano will surely be missed by the squad next season as they were the two leading scorers on the team this past season.

A younger player with a lot of promise is current freshman midfielder Sydney Watson. Watson had 40 points off of 25 goals and 15 assists this past season. She was also named a ILWomen’s Lacrosse National Rookie of the Week for the Week of April 26. The honor was UConn’s first national player of the week honor of 2018.

The head coach for the Huskies, Katie Woods, will be entering her ninth season with the squad next spring. Woods is a two time Big East Coach of the Year and has coached 13 All-Big East First Team selections. Woods’ assistant coaches are UConn graduate Kacie Lewis and Lauren Gunning.

To be successful next year the Huskies will need to still be able to have scorers because Nolan and Catalano will be gone.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.