Women’s Basketball: Huskies set to face Vanderbilt in 2018 Hall of Fame Showcase

0
0
exc-5afe217e2b6a28232e782758

(Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

(Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced Thursday, UConn will be taking on Vanderbilt Nov. 17, 2018 as part of the Hall of Fame Women’s Showcase at the Mohegan Sun Arena.

“Now in its fifth year, the Basketball Hall of Fame Women’s Showcase has become a storied event held annually at Mohegan Sun,” John L. Doleva, President and CEO of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, said in a press release. “Last year’s fans saw Geno’s (Auriemma) historic 1000th win and we expect this year’s contest to be equally exciting.”

The Commodores are coming off a rough season, finishing the year with a 7-24 record. UConn has a 4-2 record against Vanderbilt all-time. Several teams are scheduled to participate in this year’s Tip-Off Tournament including George Washington University, College of the Holy Cross, University of Michigan, Norfolk State University, Providence College, Siena College, University of South Carolina and Stony Brook University.

“We are excited to be playing in the Basketball Hall of Fame Women’s Showcase at Mohegan Sun. To have an opportunity to play against UConn, a program with a tradition of excellence both on and off the court, will be a challenge but one we are looking forward to,” Stephanie White Vanderbilt head coach said in a post to the team’s website. “We believe that we have to play the best to be the best and this will be a great opportunity for our team.”

Tickets will go on sale Friday, Sept. 7 at 10 a.m. through all Ticketmaster outlets and the Mohegan Sun Arena box office. UConn donors and season ticket holders will have an opportunity to purchase tickets prior to the general public sale.

“We are excited to play in the Basketball Hall of Fame Showcase for the fifth straight season,” Auriemma said in a press release. “Our fans create an incredible environment in Mohegan Sun Arena, and I think they’re in for a great game against Vanderbilt.”

Michael Logan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.