UConn’s Class of 2022 breaks records for academic accomplishments

0
0
exc-5b7f5e4ccd8366e8f1988318

The incoming freshmen class is the largest in UConn history. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut’s incoming freshman class is the largest class in UConn history and is one of the most diverse and among the most academically accomplished classes, Stephanie Reitz, UConn spokesperson, said in a press release Wednesday morning.

“Fifty percent of the incoming freshmen at Storrs were in the top 10 percent of their graduating high school classes, and 84 percent were in the top 25 percent,” Reitz said. “They’re also academically exceptional, with the freshmen at UConn Storrs averaging 1306 on their SAT scores – higher than any previous class – and reflect the diversity of the state and nation, with more than 40 percent being students of color.”

The Class of 2022 has approximately 5,500 freshmen, Reitz said. More than 4,000 (around 74% of the incoming class) come from Connecticut, the highest in the past few years.  About 3,764 new freshmen are enrolling at UConn Storrs, with over 40 percent are students of color, not including international students.

The high academic successes from the incoming class comes from state’s investments to make it one of the best research institutions in the nation, President Susan Herbst said Wednesday as the new figures were announced at a State Capitol event.

“UConn is today competing with many of the best schools in America for talented Connecticut high school graduates,” Herbst said. “ When you invest in UConn, you are investing in Connecticut’s future. And this class, like all our freshman classes, is some of the best evidence of that.”

UConn attracted 175 valedictorians and salutatorians among this year’s freshmen, Reitz said. Two freshmen, Saumya Shah and Victoria Kostour, valedictorian and salutatorian, respectfully, from Connecticut’s Shelton High School are ready to move in and bring their college journey.

Shah, first-semester computer science major, seemed excited to meet the wide variety of people on campus.

“UConn connects people from all different backgrounds and hobbies. While I’d be glad to talk to people who share some of my goals and traits, I think the best part of going to a new place is finding people who are different from you,” Shah said. “At UConn, there will be plenty of opportunities to both discover and cultivate my hobbies. Overall, I can’t wait to meet fun and driven people on campus, as well as staying connected with old friends.”

Kostour, first-semester biology major, said she’s eager to see all of the opportunities that await for her and her fellow classmates.

“With the limited time I spent with some of my fellow classmates, it was clear to see that everyone was excited to be a Husky, which really pumped me up,” Kostour said.  “That’s what college, and more specifically, UConn is all about: opportunities. Opportunities to develop your interests and meet new people. All in all, I am so proud to be a part of this amazing class and I know we are going to make for some great Huskies.”

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.