Women’s Volleyball: Huskies sit at 2-1 after weekend tournament

0
23

(Alexis Taylor/The Daily Campus)

(Alexis Taylor/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s volleyball team were victorious in two out of three matches they had this weekend, defeating Wright State and Georgia Southern and falling to the tournament’s host West Virginia.

Seniors Danielle Cabel and Iman McGary led the way in the tightly contested 3-2 victory over Wright State Friday afternoon with 17 and 15 kills, respectively, while fellow senior Emma Turner proved to be the ultimate team player with 55 assists. Additionally, senior leader Elizabeth Kline proved to be crucial to the team’s defensive success with 24 digs.

The nightcap on Friday for the Huskies versus West Virginia proved to be less successful as they fell in three straight sets, with Turner and Kline again providing stellar play. Turner led the team in assists with 23 while Kline led the defense with 18 digs. On the offensive side, freshman Caylee Parker led the Huskies with 13 kills while Cabel chipped in with 6. All three sets between the Huskies and Mountaineers were close in score as UConn never lost by more than 5 points.

On Saturday, the Huskies got back on track with a 3-2 victory over Georgia Southern, including a commanding 25-8 victory in the first set. Freshman Caylee Parker had 23 kills to lead the team for the second match in a row. Turner scored a team-high 46 assists in Saturday’s match, showing us in consecutive days just how skilled she is at putting the ball in the right spot for her teammates. Sophomore Isabelle Peterson played a strong role in the team’s victory as well with five blocks.

The team will look to improve their record to 3-1 this Tuesday night when they return home to face Quinnipiac University.

Sam Newton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at samuel.newton@uconn.edu.