UConn Storrs dorms for 2018-2019 academic year still under capacity

0
7

While numbers grow in Stamford for on-campus housing, living off-campus at UConn Storrs has become increasingly popular as well, according to the Mansfield Neighborhood Preservation. (File/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Storrs dorm rooms are below capacity for the 2018-2019 academic year, UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said in an email Thursday.

Within the first few days of classes last year, UConn Storrs was under capacity, home to about 12,305 students, Reitz said. As of Thursday, Reitz said there is just shy of 12,300 students assigned to the Storrs campus for the 2018-2019 academic year. 

“We’re pretty close to the same capacity as last year,” Reitz said.

As the years change, so do the number of students living on campus, as well as the amount of available housing, Reitz said.

“Depending on demand, we’re able to increase or decrease capacity in the residence halls each year between about 12,000 and almost 12,500, depending on whether most rooms are doubles or some are triples.  Most often, those are in Busby and Garrigus suites,” Reitz said.

As reported by The Daily Campus in January 2017, housing fees increased by 2.7 percent for the 2017-2018 school year. These changes remained in effect for the upcoming 2018-2019 school year despite stagnant housing numbers.

Reitz added that UConn Stamford will have 22 unoccupied beds this year, with 427 students living on-campus at the branch. Stamford has a maximum capacity of 449 students.

As UConn Stamford grew, so did the need for more housing, Reitz said.

“We were able to add apartment offerings in two additional buildings on Stamford’s Prospect Street this year to meet demand, Reitz said. “Last year, we had units in only one building – 900 Washington Blvd., with 116 apartments that can house a maximum of 320 students.”

While numbers grow in Stamford for on-campus housing, living off-campus at UConn Storrs has become increasingly popular as well, according to the Mansfield Neighborhood Preservation.

The Mansfield-based community group states UConn houses an average of 70 percent of undergraduate students.

‘Thousands of UConn students call Mansfield home,” the Town of Mansfield website said.

As reported by The Daily Campus in the past, this has caused tension between Mansfield residents and the UConn population.

“The continued conversion of single-family homes into rental units, particularly in neighborhoods near University of Connecticut (UConn) and Eastern Connecticut State University (ECSU) where there are large student populations is a significant concern for the long-term health of these neighborhoods,” the Mansfield Neighborhood Preservation website said.

Going forward, however, the Mansfield advocacy group says it hopes to work with UConn to strengthen the community.

“We wish to work with the Town and University to strengthen enforcement of existing occupancy rental regulations and reduce density of student rentals in family neighborhoods, working toward goals set by ‘Mansfield Tomorrow,’” the website said.

Luke Hajdasz is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at luke.hajdasz@uconn.edu.