Notebook: Turner and Parker prove a lethal combo in Huskies home opener victory

0
9

Iman McGary rises for a serve against Quinnipiac on Tuesday, August 28, 2018. (Eric Wang/ The Daily Campus)

Senior Setter Emma Turner and Freshman Outside Hitter Caylee Parker both put on a show in UConn’s first home game of the season. Even though they have only been playing together for a short time, the rapport between the two already appears to be one of the strongest on the team. When the two connect, play becomes seamless and it is almost sure to end in a Parker kill, assisted by Turner.

Parker and Turner once again paced the team in kills and assists respectively, as they had done in the previous three games. Parker ended the night with 13 kills, and Turner finished with 40 assists. These two together were involved in 59 of UConn’s 75 points in the game, as one either set up or finished an impressive 79 percent of the plays.

Turner has vision like no one else and it seems like she knows where the opposing defense is going to set up even before they do themselves. There was an instance in each set where Turner had the Quinnipiac defenders locked in their place as she sent the ball over the net with pace and accuracy, rather than set a teammate for the kill.

It’s this mentality and awareness that has given her such success throughout her college career. That, and her innate ability to set people up for easy kills play after play, as she is currently on track to total over 1,300 assists on the season.

As for Parker, she is exactly what Coach Grunwald needed and more out of the freshman. She has stepped into an immediate starting role and, without hesitation, has become the leading point scorer for the Huskies with 54 kills through 13 sets, ending the game against Quinnipiac with 13 kills. She hits from any and all directions with power and finesse and will seemingly only improve as the season continues and Parker gains more experience.

Turner and Parker have been crucial in the Huskies’ 3-1 start to the season. They are a one-two punch that few can compete with when it comes to running the offense. Hopefully they can continue both their individual and combined successes, as next up for the Huskies is the UConn Challenge, where they will face New Hampshire, Iona and Syracuse on Aug. 31st and Sept.1st.

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at conner.gilson@uconn.edu.