Field Hockey: Field Hockey to host MSU in Home Opener

0
1
exc-5b88a62570a6ade504dc2faf

Field Hockey hosts a pair of Michigan squads coming this weekend (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The No. 1 ranked UConn field hockey team will host Michigan State in their first home game of the season Friday at 5 p.m. at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex. The Huskies will also host No. 5 Michigan on Sunday at noon.

The Huskies are off to a strong start in their season after picking up a 4-2 win over No. 12 Northwestern and a 3-0 win over No. 15 Stanford. Big East Freshman of the week Karo Kueskes leads the team with three goals through the two victories while sophomore midfielder Jessica Dembrowski has recorded two goals for the Huskies. Junior forward Svea Booker, freshman midfielder Abby Gooderham, and fifth year back Cecile Pieper each have contributed three points. Sophomore goalkeeper Cheyenne Sprecher has allowed two goals on a .71 save average thus far.

Friday’s opponent, Michigan State, lost its opening game 2-0 to Old Dominion, but defeated Kent State 3-2 in overtime. Aisha Osinga, Isa van der Weij and Kelsey Keener each have scored one goal to lead the team while goalkeeper Jade Arundell has recorded 10 saves.

Sunday’s opponent, No. 5 Michigan, lost its first two games of the season last weekend. The Wolverines were beaten 5-1 by No. 2 North Carolina and were upset by No. 14 Wake Forest 3-2. Halle O’neil leads the Wolverines with two goals. In the cage, the Wolverines have featured both Sidonie LaPlante (.571 save average) and Anna Spieker (.500 save average).

UConn is favored in both games this weekend.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.