Men’s Soccer: Huskies prepare for tough weekend on the road

0
2
exc-5b889f8b032be47e6036beb4

A daunting Midwest road trip awaits for the men's soccer team. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

A daunting Midwest road trip awaits for the men’s soccer team. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Playing two ranked opponents in a month would be a challenge. Playing two in one weekend?

That’s what the UConn men’s soccer team faces in Indiana, taking on No. 24

Notre Dame and No. 6 Indiana this Labor Day weekend.

UConn (2-0) is now ranked No. 18 in the country after two wins at home to begin the season. If they can grab two difficult road wins this weekend, they’ll make a significant jump up the rankings.

The weekend series is part of the Adidas/IU Credit Union Classic. It begins with Notre Dame on Friday at 5 p.m., and concludes with a huge matchup against hometown Indiana on Sunday.

The Fighting Irish, who recorded a draw in their one game thus far this season, have won their last three games against the Huskies. However All-American forward, Jon Gallagher, their leading goal-scorer, graduated in the spring.

The Hoosiers are 1-1 to begin the season after losing in the national championship last year.They return most of their core contributors, and with them, extremely high expectations.

UConn may struggle to score against Indiana goalie Trey Muse, one of the best at his position in the country. Last season, Muse led the nation in save percentage, shutouts, and goals against average—all as a true freshman.

The Huskies have looked more than capable in their opening two games, earning a spot in the national rankings in the process.

Freshman defender Felix Metzger is fresh off a superb opening weekend for which he was named the American Athletic Conference Rookie of the Week. The defense as a whole allowed a mere total of six shots and one goal combined in the two games.

The Huskies have not defeated a ranked opponent since 2014 when they took down No. 25 UCF.

Friday’s game against Notre Dame begins at 5 p.m. at Jerry Yeagley Field in Bloomington, IN, a neutral site. On Sunday, the Huskies take on Indiana on their home turf at 8 p.m.

Andrew Morrison is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.morrison@uconn.edu. He tweets at @asmor24.