Former MCB professor charged with possession of child porn

0
0

UCPD, in conjunction with the Center for Digital Investigators, began investigating an anonymous tip alleging Gibson was in possession of child pornography after a tip was sent in on May 31. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

A former University of Connecticut professor was recently arrested for possession of child pornography.

Jason Derek Gibson, 38, of Glastonbury, CT was charged with illegal possession of child pornography in the first degree on Aug. 16.

In June, UCPD, in conjunction with the Center for Digital Investigators began investigating an anonymous tip alleging Gibson was in possession of child pornography. The tip was forwarded to UCPD by the FBI and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

The original tip was sent into the FBI via their anonymous tip line on May 31.

The tip alleged that Gibson was in a Whatsapp groupchat called “Sweet Children.” The tipster told the FBI that the members of this group trade child porn, according to UCPD documents.

A phone number UCPD later discovered belonged to Gibson shared links to websites which displayed pornographic images of underage girls.

UCPD called Gibson’s number and asked to speak with him. Gibson came to the UCPD station voluntarily, according to UCPD documents.

During his conversation with police, Gibson admitted to downloading images and videos of child porn onto his phone. He provided police with verbal and written consent to search the contents of his phone and provided them with the passcode, according to UCPD documents.

The photos were stored in the “Gallery Vault” app which is designed to hide and encrypt photos and other private files. There were more than 20,000 images and 100 videos stored on the app, including those of prepubescent girls performing fellatio, according to UCPD.

Gibson signed statements admitting to downloading and storing child pornography on his cell phone.

Gibson said he may have been connected to the UConn network while viewing or downloading child porn, according to UCPD documents.

UConn Spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said Gibson’s contract ended earlier this year, before the investigation began and that he currently has no affiliation with UConn.

Gibson worked as an assistant research professor in the Department of Molecular and Cell biology in a laboratory on the Storrs campus. His LinkedIn profile says he began working for UConn in July 2015. His profile also says he was an NIH postdoctoral fellow at UConn Health.

Gibson’s case is currently awaiting a plea. He is being held on a $750,000 bond. He has not been released from custody according to the Connecticut judicial branch’s website. His next court date is Sept. 21.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is the associate news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.