Kick-off to UConn Class of 2019 senior events

0
0
exc-5b8e06064fa51ae122aa7ed5

Seniors braved long lines and hour-long waits for t-shirts, senior buttons and other giveaways at the UConn Bookstore. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

Seniors braved long lines and hour-long waits for t-shirts, senior buttons and other giveaways at the Senior Kick-Off the afternoon of Friday, Aug. 31

The UConn Bookstore handed out coupons for 25 percent off one Husky Spirit Item from the bookstore. UConn Senior social media also provided free ice cream coupons to redeem during the event, according to Jessica Sokol, Associate Director of Student & Young Alumni Engagement and Student Alumni Association Advisor.

“There’s a lot going on this year for seniors: the Senior Scoop, a graduation trip to Europe, the Send-Off Celebration, yearbook portraits, networking nights, pop-up giveaway events, an etiquette dinner and so much more,” Sokol said.

Hilmar Cabrera, ninth-semester economics and urban and community studies major, said he was unaware of the giveaways and discounts around campus advertised on the UConn Senior social media.

“I got there last minute and I was still able to get a shirt, but unfortunately they had no more buttons. They told me to contact the UConn Senior Facebook group and request one. Overall, it was quick and easy. I just wish they had more of the other items,” Cabrera said.

Kaila Veal, eighth-semester human development and family studies major, said that the line reached all the way back to McMahon Dining Hall and took almost an hour to receive her UConn Senior t-shirt, button and to sign the Class of 2019 banner.

“Considering the amount of people in line, it moved pretty quickly. I had to wait like 40 minutes in line and I got there 15 minutes before [the Senior Kick-Off] started,” Veal said. “It was worth it, I was most excited about the button.”

The Senior Kick-Off is a turning point for senior students to celebrate their accomplishments throughout their years at UConn, Sokol said.

“We also want to encourage connection with the UConn Senior program, as we’ll be providing important information regarding social and academic opportunities all year,” said Sokol. “The Kick-Off occurs in conjunction with the beginning of senior year; at the end of senior year, our annual Senior Send-Off marks the beginning of the ‘Huskies Forever’ stage of our campus motto.”

Seniors should also keep an eye out for information about the Senior Scoop. The Class of 2019 can submit flavor ideas to the Dairy Bar along with potential names for the flavors. The students’ whose flavor and name that is chosen will have their names put on a plaque in the Dairy Bar, according to Sokol.

“The flavor will debut at SUBOG’s One Ton Sundae in February and will then sell at the Dairy Bar until it runs out, which usually occurs around Commencement,” Sokol said. “Last year’s Senior Scoop was ‘Charter Oats.’ Also coming soon are details about our annual Graduation Trip to Europe, which will happen in May.”

Details about future UConn Senior events and links to the UConn Senior social media can be found here.

Kristina Carretero is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kristina.carretero@uconn.edu.