Riding the red wave

0
0

Florida Republican gubernatorial candidate Ron DeSantis, right, speaks to supporters with his wife, Casey, at an election party after winning the Republican primary, Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2018, in Orlando, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)

Last Tuesday night, GOP Rep. Ron Desantis was propelled to a victory in Florida’s Republican gubernatorial primary thanks to an endorsement from President Trump. With this latest triumph, Trump-backed candidates have improved their record to a convincing 16-2 in 2018, proving, thusly, that Republicans are rallying behind their leader in a time during which Democrats are distancing themselves from theirs.

In past months, many prominent Democrats, such as Hillary Clinton, have lost favor with their party due to their newfound radical leftism, forcing their colleagues to distance themselves from such garbage. In the meantime, Republican voters are rallying behind the president to purge Congress of uncooperative GOP turncoats in favor of up-and-coming candidates whose campaigns are rooted in support of the president.

In other words, the coveted Trump endorsement has become a golden ticket of sorts to the chocolate factory in Washington. What does this mean, you ask?

A red wave could be coming in November.

From Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp to Senator Troy Balderson (R-OH) and now Rep. Desantis, President Trump’s star pupils have continued to garner A+ support among registered Republicans. Although Trump’s approval ratings among Democrats are embarrassingly low, the man has simply dominated the GOP political sphere.

Offer unwavering support for the president and thou shall receive. Condemn the president and be cast into the fiery pits of political unemployment. Hell hath no fury like a Trump supporter’s scorn.

It is worth noting that there is plenty to condemn the president for and bipartisan criticism is fully warranted and expected. Yet, Donald Trump, the billionaire, real estate mogul with no political experience, oft denigrated as the most divisive politician in American history, has united the Republican Party like no GOP leader has been able in recent times.

In 2008, Senator John McCain, American war hero and beloved GOP leader, failed to sufficiently ignite a spark amongst Republican voters and was defeated. Likewise, Governor Mitt Romney could not unite a reeling GOP sufficiently to dethrone incumbent-President Barack Obama in 2012.

These men were career politicians, boasting troves of political experience and unmatched popularity within their party, and, yet, they failed to snag states that now bleed red for Trump, such as Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Florida.

It was the man they call The Donald who shocked the political arena on an evening in which The New York Times gave this controversial trailblazer a nine percent chance to upset the most qualified presidential candidate ever, according to President Obama, and only President Obama.

Since that extraordinary night, America has quantitatively flourished more so than ever in her nearly three hundred year existence. Qualitatively? That depends on who you ask, of course. But, as Ben Shapiro says, “fact don’t care about your feelings” and, as some enlightened cat said at some point in history “the numbers don’t lie.”

What numbers, you ask? I know, CNN doesn’t report on these babies.

Under the Trump administration, U.S. unemployment has dropped to an eighteen year low of 3.8 percent with an addition of 3.7 million new jobs. American GDP has grown by over 700 million dollars since the president took over in Jan. 2017. The Dow Jones reached an all-time high of 26,616.71 in January 2018, and subsequently shattered 96 closing-high records throughout his first two years, thanks to “investor [confidence] in Trump’s promises to pass business-friendly legislation and other job-boosting measures,” such as the weakening of the Affordable Care Act and the president’s tax reform plan, according to The Balance.  Consumer confidence, a statistical measure of consumer attitude towards economic conditions, recorded its highest peak since October of 2000 with an index of 135.8.  

Why does any of this matter?

It matters because, for Democrats, this president is a dangerous engineer of economic prosperity unguardable by even their strongest defenders. And, for Republicans, President Trump has become the great unifier of red-blooded conservative Americans, despite his often inflammatory and divisive rhetoric.

Typically, the party out-of-power tends to retake control of Congress in off-year elections due, in major part, to a lack of motivation amongst incumbent voters. Yet, Trump’s base is rallying stronger than ever because, despite the president’s historic success, Democrat resistance, or obstruction, depending on who you ask, has prevented the president from delivering on more key campaign promises.

In other words, there’s unfinished business.

The president still seeks to secure funding for the border wall, appoint Justice Brett Kavanaugh, and repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. Trump has made it abundantly clear who he wants to work with and the stakes are clear for Republican voters in the midterms. Furthermore, with most Republicans on board with the president and most Democrats floating in the water, it seems likely that the independent vote will be a decisive factor.

I would speculate that undecided independents will be inclined to vote for Trump-endorsed candidates because the quantifiable economic success touted by this administration eclipses the media backlash regarding Trump tweets. In other words, a lack of policy could be the downfall of the left…but that’s for another time.

Trump has called upon his loyal supporters to garner a red wave in November, and thus far, they’ve answered.

Kevin Catapano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.catapano@uconn.edu.