Field Hockey: UConn set to face UMass and Syracuse on road trip

0
1
exc-5b91bee1c2241bb6b42fc6ac

The UConn Huskies took down the Michigan State Spartans 5-0 last Friday. They look to continue their winning streak with their next home game against Quinnipiac on 9/15. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn field hockey team is set to hit the road for a pair of games against UMass and No. 10 ranked Syracuse. The Huskies (4-0) will face off against the Minutewomen (2-2) at 6 p.m. on Friday and will play the Orange (3-0) at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

The No. 1 Huskies are coming off a big win over No. 5 Michigan this past Sunday. After being down early, freshman Abby Gooderham lead the way with a goal to tie it up and an assist on Jessica Dembrowski’s go-ahead goal with just over 10 minutes to go.

Although the season is young, freshman back Karo Kueskes leads UConn in goals (4) and points (10) with eight of her 10 shots on goal. Juniors Svea Boker and Antonia Tiedtke are tied for the team lead in assists with three each. Sophomore goalkeeper Cheyenne Sprecher has been lockdown in goal, with two shutouts and a .769 save percentage.

Last time out, UMass won over Vermont 3-1 in Burlington. The Minutewomen were coming off a tough loss to No. 5 Michigan but were able to outshoot UVM 16-7 and record four saves. Junior Antonet Luow leads the team with six goals and 12 points while Lucy Cooper, a sophomore forward, has dished out a team-high 3 assists thus far. Freshman goalkeeper Johanna von dem Borne has a .750 save percentage in her four starts.

In their last game, Syracuse won over Stanford in overtime. Sophomore forward/midfielder Chiara Gutsche leads the Orange in goals (3), points (6) and shots (10). Syracuse has just four assists as a team so far and freshman Tess Queen has two of them. Borg van der Velde, the sophomore goalkeeper for the Orange has 11 saves (.846 save percentage) while allowing 0.64 goals per game and one shutout.

Once UConn comes home, they will have almost a full week off before hosting Quinnipiac next Saturday. Opening faceoff is set for noon at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.