Column: Thank you, Ray Allen

0
2
exc-5b95bc7bf950b7ededbfa891

Ray Allen speaks during induction ceremonies into the Basketball Hall of Fame on Friday, Sept. 7, 2018, in Springfield, Mass. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

UConn alumnus and NBA Champion Ray Allen was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame this past Friday.

The legendary shooting guard with a silky-smooth three-point stroke contributed immensely to the UConn men’s basketball program before his game flourished in the NBA.

Over his 101 games as a Husky Allen knocked down 233 three-pointers and scored 1,922 career points. In his final season at Storrs, Allen was named the Big East Player of the Year.

Although Allen wasn’t part of an NCAA Championship team, he helped to instill the winning culture that UConn basketball relies on. Nothing was given to him; he went out and earned all of the achievements that came his way.

Allen’s dad was a member of the Air Force, which meant he was constantly on the move and that wasn’t easy on him growing up. As he wrote in a Player’s Tribune article in 2016, he was often bullied but found a match with the game of basketball.

Allen credited his work ethic with allowing his basketball career to grow
exponentially in his Hall of Fame induction speech.

“I don’t believe in talent. I’m here because I worked hard all my life,” Allen said. “Without that work, no one in this room would know who I am besides my family. So to all the kids around the world watching, paying attention and aspiring to be like one of us, or even on this stage one day, put the work in and watch the magical ride you’ll go on.”

Although Allen does not live in Connecticut year round, he does have a summer home in the area. He was able to reconnect with his old coach Jim Calhoun,former teammates and loyal fans at the semi-annual Coach Calhoun Charity Game in August.

Allen’s name was etched in UConn basketball history in 2007 when he was placed in the “Huskies of Honor” section of Gampel Pavilion. With his induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame, he is now a member of NBA immortality. And for that, all fans of basketball can thank the greatest shooter of all time, Ray Allen.

Michael Logan is the Sports Editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.