Huskies in the NFL: Anthony Sherman shines for the Chiefs

0
3
exc-5b972983562fa779752deb97

Houston Texans tight end Ryan Griffin (84) runs toward the end zone as New Orleans Saints strong safety Kenny Vaccaro (32) defends during a game on Sunday, Nov. 29, 2015, in Houston. (Eric Christian Smith/AP)

Several former Husky football players made appearances this week in the opening slate of games of the 2018 NFL season.

Arguably the most notable player from UConn, cornerback for the Dallas Cowboys, Byron Jones, had a sound performance lining up on the outside. He finished the game with five tackles and did not allow any touchdowns when the ball was thrown in his vicinity. He was a contributing factor in the Cowboys’ solid performance on the defensive end.

Up in Foxborough, tight end Ryan Griffin started the game for the Houston Texans against the Patriots. Although he did not record any receptions, which could be due to DeShaun Watson’s mediocre performance, the fact that he started the game showed how much progress he has made in his development as a player. As the Texans’ offense picks up he should see more action coming his way en route to an impressive season.

One of the Seattle Seahawks’ most underrated signings this past offseason was defensive tackle Shamar Stephen. This was a signing that provided even more depth to Seattle’s already stout defensive front headed by Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright. This past Sunday, Stephen actually started for the Seahawks. He finished the game with a couple tackles and quarterback hurries. Seattle has a very new look on defense this year after losing Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman – aka 2/4 of the Legion of Boom. However, if they are to regain any of their previous reputation they’ve had the past few years of having a punishing defense, Stephen will be a key part of the process.

For the Kansas City Chiefs, Anthony Sherman, the longest tenured Husky in the NFL, certainly benefited from Patrick Mahomes breakout performance. In the third quarter, he caught a 36 yard touchdown pass from Mahomes. On top of that, Sherman excelled in areas that won’t show up on the stat sheet. He displayed sound blocking and put on a strong performance on special teams. However, on Sunday, Sherman showed why it’s his versatility that makes him so valuable to Kansas City. The Chiefs only had two tight ends on their week one roster due to a suspension on their third string tight end. Their offense didn’t break a sweat, though, because Sherman was able to line up at tight end in Andy Reid’s famous three tight end formations. Overall, Anthony Sherman made the UConn nation proud after putting on an impressive week one performance.

Congratulations to all the former Huskies that appeared across the National Football League this past weekend. Follow the Daily Campus for updates on how UConn alumni are performing every week in the NFL.

Amir Clato-Day is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at amir.clato-day@uconn.edu.