UConn commemorates 17 years since 9/11 terrorist attacks

0
0
exc-5b97236fcd8366c14a49ace5

The students of the University of Connecticut at a 9/11 vigil. (UConn Today/screenshot)

The University of Connecticut will commemorate the 17th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks today through a memorial service, bell ringings and other events to honor those who died.

At 8:40 a.m., the approximate time of the hijackings, a bell ceremony will take place at the Public Safety Complex in remembrance of all those who perished in the World Trade Center, Pentagon and on Flight 93.

Six minutes later, the moment Flight 11 struck the first tower, the carillon atop the Storrs Congregational Church will ring.

Throughout the whole day, a “field of flags” will flank Fairfield Way and wreaths will be placed in the Student Union for students to tie ribbon to. There will be four wreaths for each hijacked plane at which students may pay their respects.

In an email to students, the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs said tomorrow is a time to highlight the importance of and reflect on the tragedy that struck 17 years ago.

“The anniversary of the 9/11 attacks is a time to reflect, honor, remember, and learn. It is also a time to come together in solidarity and remember what we all have in common,” the email read. “On this day, we remember those who were lost, recognize all who survived, honor the sacrifices of the first responders and recovery workers, and recapture the spirit of unity and service that arose in the immediate aftermath of the attacks.”

First semester undeclared student Hunter Woitowitz said while he is appreciative of UConn for honoring the victims of the tragedy, he thinks that people should remember what unites us as a country also.

“I think it is especially important to commemorate the tragedy of 9/11 not only to remember the lives lost that day, but also to remind us of what brings us together as a nation to stand up to evil around the world,” Woitowitz said.

The UConn community lost eight alumni on Sept. 11, 2001, with several others being injured or displaced, according to a UConn Today post that appeared in 2011.

The names of the deceased alumni as follows: “Rick” Blood Jr., Evan Gillette, Robert Higley, Joseph A. Lenihan, Scott J. O’Brien, Margaret Q. Orloske, Cheryl Monyak and Sean Schielke.

Andrew Miano is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.miano@uconn.edu.