Friday, May 10, 2024
HomeSportsField Hockey: Huskies open up BIG EAST play against QU

Field Hockey: Huskies open up BIG EAST play against QU

The UConn Huskies took down the Michigan State Spartans 5-0 last Friday. They look to continue their winning streak with their next home game against Quinnipiac on 9/15. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The undefeated UConn women’s field hockey team (6-0) will begin Big East conference play this Saturday when they host the Quinnipiac Bobcats (2-3) at noon.

Most recently, UConn was knocked down to the No. 2 ranked team in the nation with the North Carolina Tar Heels claiming the top spot. UConn is only behind by three points in the NFHCA Coaches Poll and both teams carry 6-0 records.

The last time out, UConn took down No.10-ranked Syracuse 3-0. Sophomore Jessica Dembrowski, 5-year senior Cecile Pieper and junior Svea Boker all scored goals in the win while sophomore goalkeeper Cheyenne Sprecher made four saves in her third shutout of the season. Before that, the Huskies defeated UMass 8-3. Boker tacked on two goals to her season total in this one with Pieper also scoring, bringing her season total to a team-high five.

Pieper and Boker, as a result of their performances from last weekend, both earned Big East honors. Pieper was named the Big East Defensive Player of the Week and Boker was named Big East Offensive Player of the Week. Pieper was also named NFHCA Defensive Player of the Week after she helped hold UMass to five shots and Syracuse to only six.

The Bobcats will visit Storrs coming off a tough loss to No.19-ranked Maine. Quinnipiac was seemingly outplayed in this one but an impressive six saves from goalkeeper Hannah Teicher helped keep things close in a 3-2 loss.

A couple of freshmen, Elisa van Winkel and Makayla Adams will look to keep the Huskies’ defense busy Saturday afternoon. The two are tied for the team lead in goals (2) and points (4) on a team that has combined for seven goals this far. On defense, the previously mentioned Teicher has given up eight goals and has a .704 save percentage.

After Saturday’s game, UConn will continue Big East play when they hit the road to take on Old Dominion on Friday September 21st at 5 p.m.

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.