Men’s Soccer: Huskies look to remain undefeated at home, taking on BC

0
13

The Men's Soccer team defeat Loyola 3-2 in a short noticed home game on September 15. The game went in double overtime and Abdou Mack Thiam scores the winning goal. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The Men’s Soccer team defeat Loyola 3-2 in a short noticed home game on September 15. The game went in double overtime and Abdou Mack Thiam scores the winning goal. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Currently 4-0 at Morrone Stadium this season, the UConn men’s soccer team has yet to lose a game at home. They’ll put that flawless record on the line on Tuesday night when Boston College comes to town before conference play begins.

The Huskies (4-2) are fresh off an energizing win against Loyola Maryland on Saturday night. It took two overtimes and an Abdou Mbacke Thiam hat trick to do it, but the team certainly enters Tuesday night with some strong momentum.

This week, senior Jacob Hauser-Ramsey was selected as the American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Week after a two-assist night in which the UConn defense allowed only two shots on goal. Thiam was also named to the Weekly Honor Roll team.

Boston College (2-1-3) comes off a tough defeat to No. 7 Louisville on Friday. The Eagles actually outshot Louisville 8-7 on the night but conceded a lone goal in the 80th minute to take the 1-0 loss.

Much like UConn’s Thiam, the Eagles have leaned heavily on a single goal-scorer so far, senior Simon Enstrom. The Swedish native has six goals on the season, while no other player has more than one. Redshirt junior Trevor Davock leads the team with three assists and goalkeeper Antonio Chavez Borrelli has made 14 saves in five appearances.

Nearly a year ago, BC took down the Huskies in Newton, Massachusetts, in the same way that UConn just defeated Loyola: a 3-2 double-OT battle. The Huskies will look for revenge this year in front of their home crowd, and history is firmly in their favor; UConn leads the all-time series with BC 32-10-3.

Looking beyond Tuesday’s match, the Huskies kick off conference play this weekend, welcoming USF on Saturday night, followed by Memphis next Friday. UConn currently holds the second-best overall record in the American, trailing only to UCF.

Tuesday’s game against BC is set to begin at 7 p.m. at Morrone Stadium, weather permitting.

Andrew Morrison is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.morrison@uconn.edu. He tweets at @asmor24.