Around the American: Hurricane Florence hits the American

0
0
exc-5ba06e99898583ea629cd24c

The UConn Huskies won 56-49 to the URI Rams, lead by David Pindell (5) with 308 passing yards and 265 rushing yards. They’ll take on Syracuse on 9/22 next. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

Week 3 for the American Athletic Conference was a little different than most as both ECU and No. 16 UCF had their games canceled due to Hurricane Florence. While the hurricane hit the east coast, other teams in the conference were still able to get their games in.

UConn 56, URI 49

The Huskies picked up their first win of the season in a matchup with URI that was all about offense. As the score may tell, there were a lot of yards gained in this one. Between the two teams there was 1,123 yards gained and only a difference of 23 yards from the Huskies’ total and their FCS counterpart.

The spotlight was on quarterback David Pindell for the game’s entirety. The senior threw for over 300 yards and four touchdowns and added nearly 140 yards and two more touchdowns on the ground. Sophomore Kevin Mensah made sure he did his share, as he rushed for 144 yards and two scores of his own.

This game came down to a game-saving sack by Eli Thomas. URI had one more shot at the end zone from 16 yards out with five seconds on the clock, until the junior linebacker took down Rhode Island’s Jajuan Lawson, sealing the win.

Next time out, the Huskies will hit the road to take on Syracuse.

Cincinnati 63, Alabama A&M 7

As you probably could have guessed, Cincinnati was in total control of this game right from the opening kickoff. The Bearcats put up 28 points in the first quarter and tacked on another 14 before the first half ended and before Alabama could even score. A&M’s lone score came in the third quarter while Cincy put up another 21 points in the second half.

Cincinnati racked up 741 total yards, compared to A&M’s 182, with freshman quarterback Desmond Ridder’s 199 yards and three touchdowns leading the way. Running backs Tavion Thomas (141 yards) and Charles McClelland (121 yards) combined for 302 yards on the ground and three scores.

The Bearcats will next host in-state rival Ohio University before taking on UConn in East Hartford on Sept. 29.

USF 25, Illinois 19

This was a tough, come-from-behind win for USF in a game where they scored only once in the first three quarters of action. Going into the final 15 minutes of the game, the score was 19-7 before the Bulls looked to the veteran QB/RB duo.

Quarterback Blake Barnett and running back Jordan Cronkrite, both juniors, did everything Southern Florida needed. Although he did throw two interceptions, Barnett completed 23 of his 40 passes for 411 yards and two touchdowns. Cronkrite averaged 6.2 yards per carry on 22 rushes for 136 yards against the Bulldogs and a score of his own.

USF will play conference opponent ECU next week with kickoff set for 8 p.m.

Temple 35, Maryland 14

Last but not least for the American East (see what I did there), Temple picked up a win over the Terrapins from Maryland for their first win of the season. Temple kept the pressure on all game, scoring at least once in each quarter, while Maryland managed a score in each half.

Quarterback Anthony Russo and his 228 yards passing helped lead the way offensively for the Owls. The sophomore averaged nearly 10 yards a pass and threw for a touchdown and an interception. Freshman quarterback Todd Centeio only got one throw in Saturday’s effort but made it count, as it was for a 36-yard score. Although Ryquell Armstead leads the team in rushing (26 carries, 118 yards), running backs Rob Ritrovato and Freddie Booth-Lloyd combined for two touchdowns on only 39 yards. The Owls’ other score was a 78-yard pick-six by junior linebacker Shaun Bradley.

Temple will next face Tulsa on Thursday night with kickoff set for 7:30 p.m.

Kevin Arnold is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.arnold@uconn.edu.