Men’s Basketball: Huskies announce regular season schedule

0
1
exc-5ba2f303562fa70a8ac473bc

The men’s basketball team plays an exhibition game against Providence at Mohegan Sun Arena. The Huskies fell to the Friars with a final score of 90-76. File Photo/The Daily Campus

Wednesday was another step closer to the UConn men’s basketball season as the American Athletic Conference released the regular season schedule.

Head coach Dan Hurley’s first game as a Husky will be an exhibition against Southern Connecticut State University in Gampel Pavilion on Nov. 2 at 7 p.m.

UConn will play some tough non-conference competition beginning with Syracuse on Nov. 15 under the lights of basketball’s biggest stage, Madison Square Garden. They will then take on either Iowa or Oregon the following day, depending on who wins/loses.

The Huskies will shuffle off to Arizona to take on a tough Pac-12 opponent at the XL Center on Dec. 2 at 1 p.m. The Wildcats have top-notch freshmen, consensus top-40 recruit Brandon Williams and top-100 recruit Devonaire Doutrive. If the Huskies want to have a competitive season, this will certainly be a game that is circled on their schedule.

Just six days later on Dec. 8 at 6:30 p.m., UConn will head to the Prudential Center for a game against Florida State. The Seminoles finished last season with a 23-12 record, going 6-3 in neutral sites. This will be another good way to test the Huskies.

The Huskies will end non-conference play against the reigning champs, Villanova, at Madison Square Garden on Dec. 22 at 12:30 p.m. on CBS. Jay Wright’s club is always a contender for the national title and they expect to be in the running yet again this season. UConn took on the Wildcats last season and fell 81-61.

UConn will begin conference play Jan. 2 against USF on the road at 8:30 p.m. The Huskies beat the Bulls in their lone matchup last season 68-65. Senior Jalen Adams was the star of the game with 19 points and six assists.

Their final regular season game will come against ECU at the Minges Coliseum on March 10 at 2 p.m. ECU was not a threat in the American last season, finishing a meager 10-20. UConn was able to take down the Pirates in both of their matchups last season.

For UConn’s full schedule, be sure to check out the Huskies website.

Michael Logan is the Sports Editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.