Luke’s Triple Option: Tiger, tiger, burning bright

0
0
exc-5ba2fa01f950b70cd05e1698

LSU cornerback Greedy Williams (29) celebrates his interception with safety Grant Delpit (9) and cornerback Kristian Fulton (22) in the second half of an NCAA college football game against Southeastern Louisiana in Baton Rouge, La., Saturday, Sept. 8, 2018. LSU won 31-0. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

I spent all of Saturday watching an unhealthy amount of college football so you didn’t have to, here are the three most notable results from this weekend:

No. 12 LSU 22, No. 7 Auburn 21

To me, the best part of the national college football media underrating LSU so badly before the season is seeing them wildly slingshot them the other way this week after their win over No. 7 Auburn.

Sure, LSU as a top five team in the country right now might be a bit of an overreaction, but so was pegging them at 5-7 before the season started and placing head coach Ed Orgeron on the hot seat.

Nothing much has changed about LSU in these three weeks. They’re still an immensely talented team with a terrifying defense and an offense that does just enough to get it done.

Sophomore Greedy Williams is still one of the best defensive backs in the country (quarterbacks have an 8.2 passer rating when targeting him this year), and safety Grant Delpit has been all over the field, leading the Tigers in tackles for loss (4). Both nabbed an interception in Saturday’s game.

Looking purely at the box score, transfer quarterback Joe Burrow hasn’t impressed me much. He’s completed fewer than 50 percent of his passes but came up big when it counts, completing five of seven passes in the fourth quarter to close the door on Auburn.

LSU is now 3-0 and ranked No. 6 in the country, but we’ll learn a whole lot about the Tigers in a few weeks when they host Ole Miss and then travel to Florida.

North Texas 44, Arkansas 17

Woo boy, did Seth Littrell and his boys from Denton put a beatdown on Arkansas this Saturday. North Texas put up 376 yards of total offense on Arkansas while picking off the Razorbacks five times, as if they needed any more help putting the ball in the endzone.

Not content with embarrassing Arkansas on the scoreboard, North Texas took to rubbing it in on the field. With seven minutes to go in the first quarter, Mean Green returner Keegan Brewer fielded a punt at the ten yard line and started walking towards the referee as if he caught it.

One problem: he hadn’t made the signal. As soon as he cleared the first line of confused defenders, he was gone.

Ninety yards later, Brewer was celebrating in the end zone, a successful trick play that certainly won’t be used by too many special teams coordinators in the near future.

North Texas is in a great position to win the C-USA West division, and who knows? If they keep up this blistering pace, they might be a candidate to take the Group of Five’s New Year’s Six bowl spot.

BYU 24, Wisconsin 21

After perpetually making fun of SEC schools for only playing eight conference games while scheduling FCS teams as non-conference opponents, fans of Big Ten schools felt it come back and bite them hard this weekend.

Big Ten West schools went 2-4 against non-power five schools on Saturday, culminating with the shining star of their division, No. 6 Wisconsin falling to BYU.

The game itself was unremarkable, but the box score reads like a fever dream. BYU has a running back named Squally Canada! Tanner Mangum still starts for the Cougars! He’s 25 years old! Wisconsin Heisman candidate back Jonathan Taylor rushed 26 times for just 117 yards!

Also results of note this weekend for the Big Ten West: Northwestern fell to Akron 39-34, giving them their first Big Ten win in over a hundred years, while Troy beat Nebraska 24-19.

Now, the games worth watching next Saturday:

UCF vs. FAU, Friday, 7 p.m. on ESPN

Although Lane Kiffin’s FAU has looked slightly mortal in the first few weeks of the season, they didn’t really kick into gear until after week three of the season last year, either.

This matchup still features FAU’s electric running back Devin Singletary, along with UCF’s Heisman candidate quarterback McKenzie Milton and their own exciting skill players Adrian Killins and Dredrick Snelson.

If you want to see a ton of points with your pregame on Friday night, why not throw this game on in the background?

Texas A&M vs. Alabama, 3:30 p.m. on CBS

Jimbo’s got his boys ready in College Station to head to Tuscaloosa and take on Nick Saban and his Crimson Tide!

I really can’t sell this game on too much other than your typical Paul Finebaum SEC superlatives, but it’s a light week so I’ll try anyways.

The Aggies looked surprisingly competitive against Clemson in a week one loss, and they were one of the last teams to give the Tide trouble in the Playoff last year, but Alabama has looked like an entirely different beast this year, especially on offense.

If anything, watch this just to see what Jimbo wears during his pregame interview as part of his mid-life crisis induced by the Aggies giving him $75 million guaran-damn-teed to coach football.

Stanford vs. Oregon, 8 p.m. on ABC

I really wanted to put Louisiana Tech vs. LSU here – a night game in Death Valley against a quality in-state opponent? Come on – but I’ll throw the Pac-12 a bone here for their marquee Saturday night main event.

They finally got a game featuring two teams with little numbers next to their names that starts at primetime on the east coast, and this game will go a long way towards deciding if either team will be able to challenge Washington for the Pac-12 North’s spot in the conference title game.

Plus, you get to see two legitimately great college players in Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert and Stanford running back and Heisman runner-up Bryce Love.

Luke Swanson is a staff writer for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at luke.swanson@uconn.edu.