Fall semester Give a Meal to generate donations for Hurricane Florence relief

0
0

UConn Dining Services. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

“The University of Connecticut Dining Services will be holding the Give a Meal event later this semester for Hurricane Florence,” said dining services director Dennis Pierce.

Give a Meal occurs once in the fall semester and once in the spring semester during dinner at all of the dining halls. It allows students to use one of their flex passes to contribute, Pierce said.

“We then take that swipe and we give the raw food cost at $2.50 and then multiply that times X amount of swipes,” Pierce said.

Traditionally, the funds generated have been given to local organizations such as the Covenant Soup Kitchen and the Mansfield Pantry.

But in the wake of Hurricane Florence, which has battered the Carolinas and much of the southeast United States over the weekend, the need has moved elsewhere, Pierce said.

“What we’re going to do is work with Community Outreach and find out the relationship with the American Red Cross and then make the donations that we get from that evening,” Pierce said. “It has to go to the American Red Cross specifically to help those who have been impacted by Florence.”

Pierce’s team has stepped up to the plate for other timely issues regarding food shortages in the past. Last fall’s Give a Meal event benefitted relief efforts for Hurricane Maria and an earthquake in Mexico. Donations also went towards relief efforts after the September 11 terror attacks.

According to Pierce, students will also be a part of the efforts behind the scenes.

“The students that work with Community Outreach organize and man each one of the resident dining facilities,” Pierce said. “They then are there and encourage students to donate one of their meal swipes.”

The event allows students to be able to use their resources to contribute to a greater good, Pierce said.

“It demonstrates that the student has the capability and the mechanism to be able to help in this time of need,” Pierce said.

Taylor Harton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at taylor.harton@uconn.edu.