Softball: Fall ball is here

0
1
exc-5ba436d90852290cab84d7cf

UConn hosts Bryant University for their mid-week game at the Burrill Family Field on Tuesday, Apr. 24. The Huskies cruised to a 4-1 win over the Bulldogs, leading to their second mid-week victory. (Photo by Jon Sammis/The Daily Campus)

The UConn Softball program kicks off their annual fall slate of games this weekend when they travel to take on Bryant and Holy Cross this weekend.

They were supposed travel to Chapel Hill to take on BC on Sept. 21 for a 6:30 p.m. game as well however as of Thursday evening that game has been pushed back to October 5 for the same time. No reason was given for the postponement

On Sunday Sept. 23 they go to Smithfield for a tri-program doubleheader. They take on Holy Cross at 12 p.m. immediately followed by a game against the home team in Bryant. First pitch is scheduled for 2 p.m.

BC had a strong record last year when they went 30-23 and 12-10 in the ACC. Holy Cross was 12-33 and Bryant was 14-31.

In their core spring season, the Huskies went 20-35 and 5-16 in conference. They graduated three players. Pitcher Chelsea Eckert, and fielders Ryne Nakama and Emma Stanley. They return the majority of their lineup, led by sophomore Briana Marcelino who hit .276 and Olivia Sappington who hit .272 with a team leading six homeruns and robust .385 on-base percentage.

On the mound, longtime ace Jill Stockley returns for her last go around as a senior. In the spring she went 10-14 but maintained a 2.40 earned run average and pitched 169 innings, twice as much as the next pitcher.

Stockley and outfielder Kelli Bates are the only seniors on a young team. The team has nine juniors, four freshman and six freshman.

There will be some familiarity between the programs. The Huskies were supposed to face Bryant on March 4 in Storrs, but the game was postponed. They played at Boston College on April 11 and lost 4-1.

There is no American conference play in the Fall and the Huskies will face all local teams. After this weekend they will host Central Connecticut State on Friday Sept. 28 at 4 and then play a doubleheader against Army on Sunday Sept. 30 starting at 12 p.m. They conclude the following Saturday, Oct. 6 by hosting Hartford at 11 a.m. after taking on BC the evening before.

Matt Barresi is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.