Men’s Basketball: Huskies land ESPN-100 point guard Jalen Gaffney

0
1
exc-5ba97e3df4e1fc2155f08dc3

Gaffney and his parents (@jalengaffney)

Fresh off the commitment from shooting guard James Bouknight, the UConn men’s basketball team was able to bring in four-star point guard Jalen Gaffney.

In two weeks, it seems the Huskies have solidified their backcourt for the next several years. On Monday, Gaffney committed to UConn after his official visit to campus this past weekend.

Gaffney, who is from Westtown School in Pennsylvania, was also recruited by Clemson, Florida, Pittsburgh, St. John’s and Xavier. However, first-year head coach Dan Hurley was able to beat out the competition to convince yet another top recruit to come to Storrs.

With senior point guard Jalen Adams leaving after this season, the Huskies have their replacement of the future.

The 6-foot-2 point guard has elite athleticism that was on full display during his time with Team Rio. His AAU teammates have been recruited heavily as well; Bryan Antoine recently committed to Villanova, while Scottie Lewis is being heavily recruited by the likes of Duke and Florida.

The Huskies will likely begin to shift their focus to recruiting big men to solidify the frontcourt. With at least three scholarships to offer, the Huskies have been heavily recruiting Akok Akok from Putnam Science Academy and Precious Achiuwa from Montverde Academy. If Hurley can convince either one to join his squad next year, it will further solidify why the Huskies made the right decision.

Michael Logan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.