Top Huskies’ performances on the weekend

0
0
exc-5ba993811905f44e4206f5ea

The UConn Huskies lost to Syracuse 51-21 this Saturday in the Carrier Dome. David Pindell (5) lead the team once again with 151 passing yards and 113 rushing yards. Their next home game is on 9/29 against Cincinnati (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

This weekend was an eventful one for UConn Athletics. On Friday, the field hockey team beat Old Dominion 4-2, the women’s volleyball team lost 1-3 to Southern Methodist University and the men’s tennis team competed in a three-day tournament at the Quinnipiac Invitational. Senior Hank Hill and sophomore Yili Zheng brought home a doubles title as one of the major highlights with outstanding performances from junior Brady Flanagan and sophomore John Michael Holtmann as well, who each advanced to the singles finals.

On Saturday, the football team lost 51-21 to Syracuse, the women’s hockey team lost their exhibition game to Shenzen KRS Vanke Rays, and the men’s soccer team tied with USF. Redshirt junior Dayonn Harris scored the first goal at the six minute mark and senior Abdou Mbacke Thiam scored in the 79th minute. The men’s tennis team played in the second day of the Quinnipiac Invitational.

To round out the weekend on Sunday, the women’s volleyball team and the field hockey team played again with a 3-1 victory for volleyball against Houston and a 6-1 victory for field hockey against Southern Methodist University. The women’s soccer team lost 4-1 to Southern Methodist University, and the men’s baseball team played in their annual Alumni game at J.O. Christian Field.Sunday concluded the Quinnipiac invitation for men’s tennis. More to come from the Huskies starting Thursday, when the women’s soccer team takes on USF at home.

Julia Dowd is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at julia.dowd@uconn.edu .