HomeNewsCT League of Conservation Voters endorses Linda Orange for CT General Assembly

CT League of Conservation Voters endorses Linda Orange for CT General Assembly

The group is also holding voter registration drives and canvassing for endorsed candidates. Schoen encouraged students who want to get involved to contact her. (Nick Hampton/The Daily Campus)

This week, The Connecticut League of Conservation Voters (CTLCV) endorsed incumbent Representative Linda Orange (D) of Connecticut’s 48th district, Mansfield, for this year’s Connecticut General Assembly election.

The league endorsed Orange because of her commitment to land conservation, according to a press release by the organization. CTLCV uses a survey that focuses on key issues, including clean energy and land conservation, to decide on endorsements Director of Communications at the CTLCV Amanda Schoen, said. Nearly 120 candidates submitted responses, and 21 have been endorsed so far.

“Rep. Orange’s survey indicated her support for moving Connecticut to 100 percent clean energy by 2050 or sooner, her belief that water is a public trust and her commitment to open space among other issues,” Schoen said. “She was also a leader in the last legislative session and championed a pilot program that would allow towns and municipalities to purchase dedicated open space by collecting revenue from real estate sales rather than property taxes, providing communities new ways to preserve their land, parks and historic spaces.”

The CTLCV is a bipartisan organization dedicated to environmental issues through political action, Schoen said.

“We work to pass laws to protect our clean air and water, open space, wildlife and public health, and to elect leaders who make these issues priority,” Schoen said. “We inform lawmakers and our members on the environmental issues in our state and hold them accountable for their actions in our annual Environmental Scorecard.”

Natural open space in Connecticut is important for several reasons, Schoen said. It is an important way to combat climate change and is a draw for the state to maintain and attract residents.

“At a time when Washington is rolling back clean air standards and auto emission guidelines, we need to make sure we’re doing everything we can to reduce carbon and protect our air quality here in Connecticut,” Schoen said. “Open space is also what draws many people to towns and communities. We hear a lot about how Connecticut is losing our young people, our recent college graduates. One way to keep and attract families to our towns is making sure they have access to the great trails, parks and historic places that give Connecticut its character.”

The organization encourages students to get involved by following their social media or signing up for their mailing list, Schoen said. They notify interested parties regarding events, like the People’s Climate March or the Gubernatorial Forum on Climate Change, as well as information regarding bills being introduced in the legislature.

The group is also holding voter registration drives and canvassing for endorsed candidates. Schoen encouraged students who want to get involved to contact her.

“This is important when it comes to encouraging lawmakers to vote for the environment and make it a priority,” Schoen said. “If they know the people they represent care, they will care too.”

Miranda Garcia is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at miranda.r.garcia@uconn.edu.