Field Hockey to host Temple and Maryland

0
1

The Huskies defeat Quinnipiac with a score of 8-0 on Saturday, September 15. Cecile Pieper scored 6 of the 8 points for the Huskies to improve their record to 7-0. (Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut (UConn) Field Hockey team will host Temple and Maryland at the George J. Sherman Sports Complex this weekend. The No. 2 ranked Huskies will take on the Owls Friday at 6 p.m. before a clash with the No. 3 Terrapins Sunday at noon.

Uconn (9-0) is coming off a pair of wins last weekend in Virginia against Old Dominion and William & Mary. The Huskies defeated the Monarchs 4-2 on Friday evening thanks to two goals from redshirt senior Cecile Pieper and a goal apiece from junior Svea Boker and sophomore Jessica Dembrowski. Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Cheyenne Sprecher made four saves in the victory, which marked the team’s fifth win of the season against a ranked opponent.

On Sunday, UConn handled William & Mary 6-1 after six different players found the back of the net. Boker, Pieper, senior Amelia Iacobucci, freshman Maddy Wray, sophomore Vivienne Tucker and freshman Abby Gooderham all scored in a balanced win for the Huskies. In goal, Sprecher notched a career high eight saves to protect the teams lead.

Following their performances last weekend, Sprecher was named Big East Freshman of the Week for the second consecutive week while Pieper was named Offensive Player of the Week after a pair of Defensive Player of the Week selections.

Friday’s opponent, Temple, suffered an 8-2 loss to No. 19 Liberty on Tuesday. Kathyryn Edgar leads the Owls (2-7) with seven points while four different players have recorded two goals on the season. UConn defeated Temple 4-1 last season.

The Huskies will face their highest ranked opponent of the season on Sunday against No. 3 Maryland. The Terps (11-0) are fresh off a 2-1 victory over No. 8 Michigan, the same result the Huskies earned over the Wolverines. Linnea Gonzales has led Maryland offensively with 10 goals while Madison Maguire has recorded 9 assists. The Terps are allowing just 1.7 goals per game, thanks to goalkeeper Sarah Holliday’s 0.7 save percentage.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.