Scott Burrell to be inducted into Huskies of Honor before first UConn exhibition game

0
2

Scott Burrell is the latest great to be added to UConn’s hallowed Huskies of Honor (Hartford Courant)

University of Connecticut (UConn) basketball icon Scott Burrell will have his No. 24 inducted into the Huskies of Honor prior to the team’s exhibition game against Southern Connecticut State University on Nov. 2.

Burrell, the head coach at SCSU, will be honored before the 7 p.m. tipoff that Friday night, according to a press release.

“I am proud and honored to be included with the many great UConn players who are in the Huskies of Honor,” Burrell said in the release. “Being born and brought up in Connecticut, it was a dream come true to attend UConn and to play basketball for Coach (Jim) Calhoun. It obviously has shaped the rest of my life and brought me to where I am today. I couldn’t be more thrilled.”

Burrell played in Storrs from 1989-1993, where he scored a career 1,562 points and amassed 752 rebounds, 93 assists and an all-time program-leading 310 steals. As a sophomore in 1990-91, he led the nation with 112 steals. He is No. 18 on UConn’s all-time scoring list.

As a freshman starter in 1989-90, he helped the Huskies earn their first Big East Championship and led to them an NCAA tournament appearance, their first in 11 years. He was famously responsible for a 94-foot pass to Tate George with 0:01 remaining in the Sweet 16 against Clemson in 1990 that sent UConn to the Elite Eight.

Burrell, a Hamden, Connecticut native, was a three-sport athlete and was drafted in the first round by the Seattle Mariners his senior year of high school. He was encouraged by the Mariners to bypass college and go straight to the minor leagues, but he wanted to play basketball at the University of Miami. It wasn’t until UConn assistant coach Howie Dickenman convinced Burrell to play in Storrs.

In the 1993 NBA Draft, the Charlotte Hornets drafted Burrell with the 20th overall pick, making him the only athlete in professional sports history to be a first-round draft pick in two different sports. He became the first UConn player to capture an NBA championship with the 1998 Chicago Bulls in a basektball career that spanned eight seasons with four franchises.

Burrell is the 21st individual to be inducted into the Huskies of Honor, which includes three coaches, one administrator and one team, according to the release. The complete list is as follows.

Team: The 1998-99 National Championship team

Administrator: Former athletic director John Toner

Head coaches: Hugh Greer, Dee Rowe and Jim Calhoun

Players: Walt Dropo, Vin Yokabaskas, Worthy Patterson, Art Quimby, Toby Kimball, Wes Bialosuknia, Bill Corley, Tony Hanson, Corny Thompson, Cliff Robinson, Chris Smith, Donyell Marshall, Ray Allen, Richard Hamilton, Khalid El-Amin, Emeka Okafor, Caron Butler, Rudy Gay, Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier.

Stephanie Sheehan is the managing editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.