Men’s Soccer: Huskies blank Memphis in first road win.

0
0
exc-5bb17ea615fcc09a983dc2d7

File- UConn puts pressure on USF during a game on Sept. 22, 2018. (Nicholas Hampton/ The Daily Campus)

UConn secured a 2-0 win against Memphis on Friday night, giving the Huskies their first road win of the season.

With the game tied at 0-0 and not even two minutes into the second half, forward Dayonn Harris scored his second goal of the season via a low shot from the top of the box. The goal brings Harris’ points tally up to eight. UConn (5-2-1) held the lead for the rest of the night.

But in case the game was still in question, freshman Ibrahima Diop put the ball through an empty Memphis (5-3-2) net with 10 seconds left in regulation for the first goal of his UConn career. Steffen Yeates and Abdou Mbacke Thiam were credited for the assist. This takes Thiam up to 14 points on the season, which is the most on the team.

Like in any shutout, the Husky defense was unrelenting. Though Memphis was able to shoot 14 times, only four of those shots were on UConn’s goal. Most importantly, all four of those shots were saved by UConn’s junior goalkeeper Aviza Austin. Austin played all 90 minutes of the match and now has 12 saves on the season.

Memphis will have a lot of time to recover, as they play their next game on Saturday night on the road against Temple. UConn will have a much quicker turnaround, keeping the road stretch going Tuesday night against Providence College. Providence (5-4-1) is coming off of an impressive 2-0 win over No. 22 Xavier.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu.