Column: Lisa Borders stepping down as WNBA president

0
2
exc-5bb40eb59140b716f3d1164a

FILE - In this May 21, 2016, file photo, WNBA President Lisa Borders smiles as she speaks to reporters before a WNBA basketball game between the San Antonio Stars and the Dallas Wings in Arlington, Texas. TIME’S UP has named Borders as its first president and CEO. In a statement Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018, the organization said Borders will lead the organization’s efforts to “ensure equal opportunity and protection for all working women.” (AP Photo/LM Otero, File)

FILE – In this May 21, 2016, file photo, WNBA President Lisa Borders smiles as she speaks to reporters before a WNBA basketball game between the San Antonio Stars and the Dallas Wings in Arlington, Texas. TIME’S UP has named Borders as its first president and CEO. In a statement Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018, the organization said Borders will lead the organization’s efforts to “ensure equal opportunity and protection for all working women.” (AP Photo/LM Otero, File)

After overseeing the WNBA for three seasons, President Lisa Borders announced on Tuesday that she is stepping down to become the first president and CEO of Time’s Up.

I must say that the news came as a shock to me and many other fans who have loved Borders as WNBA president since she took the reins in 2016.

It is no surprise, however, that Borders is stepping down to spearhead Time’s Up. Borders demonstrated her passion for equality and fairness while heading the WNBA.

In 2016, many WNBA players and teams were fined for wearing black warm up shirts in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement. The official fine was for violating warm-up dress codes. After listening to complaints and concerns from players, Borders rescinded the fines.

Borders has also been instrumental in the league’s expansion into different areas of social media. In 2017, the WNBA began livestreaming a number of their games on Twitter. Fans could watch these games for free, no matter where they were. In addition, the WNBA partnered with FanDuel to create fantasy games in 2017. Both of these things have helped increase interest in the league.

While I am happy for Borders, the league has a couple issues it still needs to iron out, and the next president will need to be well-equipped to do this. First, the New York Liberty are still for sale after being put up by the Madison Square Garden Company. Also, WNBA Chief Operating Officer Jay Perry and Senior Vice President of League Operations Ann Rodriguez both stepped down in the last six months. This means that there are three large spots that need to be filled.

In the interim before a new president is found, NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum will oversee the WNBA.

“The W is deep in my heart and will always be there,” Borders told the Associated Press. “I was a fan when I came here, a fan now and always will be a fan of the W. Just because I’ll be in another role doesn’t mean you won’t see me in the arena sitting right in the front row watching our players play in different arenas across the country.”