Ragweed Reason for Fall Allergies, UConn Doctor says

0
0

UConn Health Center. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

Ragweed pollen is the likely cause of fall allergies; however, there are many preventative measures to keep fall allergies under control Todd Falcone, M.D. at UConn Health said.

“People suffering from fall allergies may experience sneezing, coughs, runny noses, itchy and watery eyes, nasal congestion and a scratchy throat,” Falcone said.

Besides ragweed pollen, mold can be another root cause for fall allergies, according to American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. Mold spores are commonly found in the air during fall time. Inhaling mold spores or being in contact with mold in houses can trigger the immune system and cause an allergic reaction.

People with fall allergies should try to stay indoors on the days that it is particularly windy days or on days when there is freshly cut grass, Falcone said.

“There are many medications with over-the-counter antihistamines [that can help with fall allergies]” Falcone said.

Other methods of taking care of fall allergies are using steroid nasal sprays to treat congestions or irrigating the nose with a saline solution, Falcone said.

“If none of these methods are helping, [people] should see an ear nose and throat doctor to make sure they don’t have anything more serious going on in their nose or an allergist to get tested or to discuss immunotherapy or allergy shots” Falcone said.

Shivani Padhi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at shivani.padhi@uconn.edu.