HomeSportsSoftball: Huskies conclude Fall slate this weekend

Softball: Huskies conclude Fall slate this weekend

Softball is finishing their fall season this weekend with BC and Hartford (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn Softball team will wrap up their fall schedule of games this weekend when they take onBoston College and University of Hartford.

The Huskies will go to Chestnut Hill on Friday evening, Oct. 5. The game is scheduled for a 6:30 p.m. start.

UConn was supposed to go to Boston College back in mid-Sept. for their fall opener but had to postpone the game, as well as a subsequent tri-program doubleheader game against Bryant and Holy Cross, due to injuries to both of the team’s catchers.

UConn played Boston College on April 11 in their previous season and lost 4-1.

The team has a sizeable freshman class but relies on returning standouts like senior pitcher Jill Stockley and hitter Olivia Sappington.

On Saturday UConn fill host the instate Hawks at 11:00 a.m. at Burrill Family Field in a doubleheader.

The second game will likely commence after a brief break following the first one.

Last weekend the Huskies hosted Central Connecticut State University on Friday and Army for adoubleheader on Sunday. The results were not made public, but the Huskies drew a good crowd on Sunday in part due to the UConn Fall Open House.

While these games will be the finale of competition, UConn will continue to practice and work outthroughout the fall and winter as they prepare for their primary season in the spring. It will be their fifth season under head coach Jen McIntyre.

Matt Barresi is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.